Laying eggs with no shell?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by whoami, Aug 17, 2008.

1. whoami

whoami New Egg

Mar 26, 2008
    My hens have just started to lay. So we're getting eggs sporadically. Yesterday and today I've found an egg that has no shell. It looks perfectly normal except it's just got a leathery membrane instead of a shell. Inside it is a perfect egg.

I'm assuming it is one of the Rhode Island Reds since it's brown in color.

I'm feeding them Layena which is supposed to have everything they need to make eggs. Why would I get ones with no shell?

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Try feeding free choice oyster shell. Even with a complete layer feed they will sometimes need more calcium. You don't need to worry about them overdoing it as they know how much they need and won't overindulge.

[​IMG]

3. chicken farmer meigs

chicken farmer meigs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    Florence Mt.
    I had the same thing with a New Hampshire she laid 6 of these eggs then everything straitend out. She now lays fine. I did give her a little bit more oyster shell to help her out.

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Yes, definitely put out some oyster shell. My girls eat layer feed, but they also eat oyster shell every evening before they go to bed.

I just pour a pile of it out on the ground. Used to keep it in a container, but it ended up on the ground anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by