Laying eggs without shells (not rubber eggs, eggs without shells)

lol, get to the bottom. it concerns me that you think its dripping out. does she fight with the others? or injury in any way? the shells may possibly still be there inside. if so, they need to come out. sooo, ya ! get to the bottom
lau.gif

No fights that I'm aware of. They all get along pretty well. I did stick my finger in there to feel for eggshells, and didn't feel any, but was concerned about poking too far. Got about a knuckle and a half deep and didn't feel anything. Made my wife help, which I'm not sure she was so thrilled about. I can't hold and probe at the same time!

Well, she's in a box by herself now. I don't think she's happy about it, but we'll see what happens. She seems to have had runny poo out in the run, would vent gleet cause her eggs to go weird like this? Though, I give them yogurt and ACV to ward that off, but I suppose it is a persistent thing, isn't it?

O.k., so this morning I looked in on her, and there was no egg, and a normal poop, so maybe the runny poo has passed, maybe not. I've put her back out with the others for now, will probably bring her back in tonight again just to see what happens egg-wise. Though, I think the change may be enough to stop her from laying. We'll see.

We have gotten a few eggs with no shells, but more when they were in the first two months of laying.

It's interesting that this question should come up. I was just reading some old books on raising chickens yesterday, and this topic was mentioned in one of them.

"Or we can see how a hen whose organs of reproduction are unduly stimulated might produce eggs and lay them faster than the oviduct can shell them. They are what are called "soft," or "shell-less" eggs, and may either be enclosed in the membrane only or have shells of a very thin texture." --Chickens and how to raise them; (1909), by A.T. Johnson, p. 18-19. (https://archive.org/details/chickenshowtorai00john)

One of my pullets laid two eggs like that, but they were two of her first, and as far as I know she's laid no more like that.

I have periodically gotten the membrane eggs, but this is different. I haven't had them since starting them on the yogurt, though somewhere else I read that it's actually stress that causes them.

Either way, she didn't lay an egg in the box last night either.

Yeah, she seems fine otherwise. I think I may leave her in the coop tonight and see what happens. Of course, if I get another mystery egg I'll be annoyed, but I think being in the coop with the others will be better for her mental help. The box I kept her in is full of normal poo, so the runny stuff seems to have passed.

Back
Top Bottom