Laying eggs without shells (not rubber eggs, eggs without shells)

Klantes how's she doing now? I have a beautiful little hen laying shell less eggs
1f61e.png
she's not doing very well.

My little Rosie acts perfectly healthy except she still lays three to four eggs a week and they have no shell and leak out of her. This has been 8 months now. I might break down and take her to the vet to see if this can be solved. She used to be such a great layer.

I'm so sorry you lost your little hen.

I have a leghorn called Lilly.
She was a rescue and was in a proper state when we got her.
She lays perhaps one good egg in a flood, the rest are all soft shelled.
I've had her for almost two years and during this time have tried everything from calcium in the water and vit bs to help her take it up, to oyster shell, their own shells crushed, fermented feed etc etc you name it.

In the end I've just let her be. I put out oyster shell anyway, and I put garlic powder and seaweed powder in their food.
She's otherwise healthy, great temperament, and glossy feathers.
I wish I could afford the implant to stop her laying as egg peritonitis is a worry but at least she has a very happy free range life.

She's such a great character, always in the thick of things and always exploring. We call her the Indiana jones of the flock :)

Loosing them never gets easier but at least you can look back and know you did everything you could and that she had a great life.
Best wishes x

Lost my Lilly tonight after a year of struggles.
Always harder when the days are so long.
I am totally beside myself.

Another beautiful extraordinary and very missed chicken in heaven tonight.

God bless Lilly.
You were one of a kind.

Shabana x

Thankyou granny darling.
I follow your thread. I hope your husband is doing better and you find your guinea fowls with lots if babies :)

You are a wonderful inspiration and make me smile every morning.
Thankyou so much for that xxxx

tell you what, when i get rich i am coming to England to visit and i will bring you half my flock. i cant walk through them to feed. i have learned to run in a circle so i can get to the food dishes before them. when you are sad, just imagine a fat old lady running in circles with 100 bantams chasing her. then imagine them to be yours.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom