Laying eggs

tarann

Hatching
Sep 12, 2016
My chickens just starting laying eggs a few days ago. The first day we got four eggs. I have two chickens. Over the last few days I've only gotten one egg. Is there anything I can do to encourage them to lay more? For example fake eggs, change in their food? I Did start adding oyster shells to their feed for stronger eggs. Any other suggestions. Thanks
1f60a.png

Providing their nutrition is proper, I don't think there is much you can do. Fake eggs are primarily used when hens lay in places other than where they're supposed to - they won't encourage them to lay. Are you sure they are not laying in some hide away spot? Also, what breeds are we talking? Some breeds are not as prolific as others.

It can take a few weeks for their system to regulate so laying won't always be regular initially. Your best laying should occur in early spring. I would offer the oyster shells in a separate bowl and not mix it in. They will consume it as they need it. Too much calcium can cause as much problems as not enough. I would feed something that has 18-20% protein to optimize their nutrition.

Providing their nutrition is proper, I don't think there is much you can do.  Fake eggs are primarily used when hens lay in places other than where they're supposed to - they won't encourage them to lay.  Are you sure they are not laying in some hide away spot?  Also, what breeds are we talking?  Some breeds are not as prolific as others.

I have two buff Orpingtons. I do free range them so it is a possibility that they laid an egg in the yard. Starting today I kept them in the coop as some people mentioned keeping hem in the coop the first week will teach them to lay in the coop only. I just checked and there is one egg. It seems as though their laying one egg between the two of them. Granted it's only been a few days of laying eggs. thank you for your advice, I'm also going to keep the oyster shells separate. Thanks again

As has been stated, the initial adjustment to production can be a period of fits and starts and it does take time for things to fall into a normal pattern of production for each hen.

The average annual production for BO is generally stated at around 180-190 eggs per year, so you can see that they are not the most prolific layers. My experience with them was that the first laying cycle yielded an average of 5 eggs per week, per hen -- post first molt when they did resume production (among the last to resume production) that average was closer to 4 per week, per bird.

Back
Top Bottom