LAYING EGGS

WELL ONE OF MY HENS A FIRST YEAR ONE HAS QUIT LAYING EGGS I KNOW THE WEATHER CHANGES SLOWS THEM DOWN BUT I AM STILL GETTING 6 EGGS A DAY FROM THE OTHER SIX AND I KNOW ITS HER BECAUSE HER EGGS ARE GREEN AND I GET NONE IS THIS SOMETHING TO WORRY ABOUT.
Is she molting? When chickens molt they usually quit laying eggs until all their feathers have grown back.

It's not the weather, it's the shorter daylight hours. I wouldn't be concerned about her not laying right now. Once the days start getting longer, laying should begin again.

Some people provide artificial light during the winter. I don't, I prefer to let mine rest and just look forward to eggs again in the spring.

Probably not the answer, but certainly worth the time invested. LOOK AROUND! THOROUGHLY! I have Six pullets. All were laying daily. About 2 weeks ago, things changed. Some days I got 4 eggs, some days 6. Being a novice, and taking to heart what I read here on byc, I chalked it up to Shorter days. 2 days ago I noticed one of my pullets was missing from the troop. Looked in the nesting boxes. No chicken. I have a Fort Knox type run, so was certain she had not gotten out or predated. My Coupe has double doors that open to expose the entire interior... so I thought. Surprise! Tucked tight in the front corner UNDER the nest boxes was the prodigal. A spot visible, but easily overlooked. Oh, she wasn't broody or anything. Later she was out scratching with everyone else. But when I went to extract her egg, I found 13 eggs in the makeshift nest. Laying had not curtailed. Just shifted to a new production facility. Like I said, probably not YOUR solution, but a 10 minute search for any spot a chick can fit in COULD yield surprises.

Back
Top Bottom