laying half soft shelled eggs?? UPDATE, not good.

I just got 2 new young chickens and for a month they layed perfect eggs and now one is laying the rubbery shelless eggs. Her butt is all messy too and I tried to wipe it off with warm water but it seems she might have runny stoll also. She eats and acts normal when I let her out in the grass but otherwise just sits around in the coop.I give her a good layer food and also the oyster shells and corn. I am also worried about her as my chickens are pets. I only have 3.

I did some research and tums is okay for chickens. So i crushed a half of one up in some yogurt and she ate all of it. She seems to have perked up a little and is start to "talk" more when i walk out there. Shes my loudest hen. I'll see how she is tomorrow and what kind of egg she lays.

If i have to give her a tums or calcium pill ever couple of days for the rest of her life i have no problem with that. Just hope it works!

fl.gif
for you!

She's acting completely normal now!
barnie.gif
I'm so confused! lol...

I went to the store and bought calcium pills. Do I crush up the whole pill and give it to her? And how often should I give her a calcium pill? We'll see what she lays tomorrow, hopefully a nice hard egg.

I give them only when I suspect a problem and never more than every other day, but that's not based on anything other than a strange gut feeling that it might not be good to give it too often.

FWIW, My little Old English was egg bound again today, so at 1pm I gave her 500mg calcium and by 1:30pm she laid her egg. This is the second time in a week that I've given calcium to her.

Well, so far so good. She's her normal self this morning, scratching around in the yard eating everything. She hasn't gone in the nest box yet to lay though. Do you think I should give her another calcium pill today just in case?

Back
Top Bottom