Laying Hen on Antibiotics

BrukeyBrooke

Songster
Apr 10, 2020
Washington
So, my duck is on antibiotics for bumblefoot, and she’s healing well. She took a break from laying, presumably from the stress of the bumblefoot but started laying again. We started eating the eggs and didn’t even think about it until a week later. Oops!

Called the vet and my doc, big no no. We were told to stop eating the eggs while the duck is on antibiotics and for EIGHT WEEKS afterward. Don’t even feed them to the dogs. My oh my! This is really more of a PSA, but I’m also wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and how you felt - I have a stomach ache after eating them, which prompted me to start reading here... Also, wish me luck isolating her so we can throw out just her eggs. 🙃

So, my duck is on antibiotics for bumblefoot, and she’s healing well. She took a break from laying, presumably from the stress of the bumblefoot but started laying again. We started eating the eggs and didn’t even think about it until a week later. Oops!

Called the vet and my doc, big no no. We were told to stop eating the eggs while the duck is on antibiotics and for EIGHT WEEKS afterward. Don’t even feed them to the dogs. My oh my! This is really more of a PSA, but I’m also wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and how you felt - I have a stomach ache after eating them, which prompted me to start reading here... Also, wish me luck isolating her so we can throw out just her eggs. 🙃
Nope and if your vet prescribed the antibiotics then he/she should have advised you about egg safety.

Nope and if your vet prescribed the antibiotics then he/she should have advised you about egg safety.
I’ll give the benefit of the doubt that she didn’t say anything since my girl had stopped laying them. But yes, I feel she still should have made me aware.

Has anyone eaten antibiotic laden eggs or experienced tummy troubles as a result?

I’ll give the benefit of the doubt that she didn’t say anything since my girl had stopped laying them. But yes, I feel she still should have made me aware.

Has anyone eaten antibiotic laden eggs or experienced tummy troubles as a result?
Yup, she should and I would be having a word with her.
If it makes any difference people have eaten meat from animals fed antibiotics on a routine basis for many years. Things are more regulated now and this should no longer be happening. I would be surprised if the antibiotic content in an egg would be enough to make you sick, but perhaps consult a doctor making sure she/he knows the make of the antibiotic and the dosage.

Probably wont make you sick, unless you are allergic to the antibiotic.
But can promote resistance.
There are no finite withdrawals for antibiotics in eggs,
because they've never been tested,
it's all basically guesswork.

I’d take some pre and probiotics just in case the antibiotics upset your gut flora and that’s why you’re having stomach upset.

Also have you eaten duck eggs before? Some have a allergy to duck eggs, and it can cause stomach upset.

What is the antibiotic that your vet prescribed? There have been some studies done on many antibiotics and egg residuals. FARAD is where to look to see what antibiotics are approved here in the US. Some vets will prescribe certain antibiotics to treat a specific disease. Those may not be approved, but most vets may tell people their eggs may never be eaten again for a few, and that is because they don’t want the liability. You will always have a lot of discussion about the use of AB’s in chickens. Antibiotic resistant bacteria is a real problem, and so is overuse. But most vets will prescribe them if there is an infection, just like with a dog or cat you bring in.

I would suspect it should be a negligible amount of stomach ache.. I mean especially not even as much as it would cause if you had taken it yourself. And then how active or effective is it after being heated by the stove and not ingested raw?? Which drug were you using? Sounds to me like you were given a "safe" answer, according to the "LAW".

Egg residue FARAD

Actually some drugs including many antibiotics have been tested and evaluated as well, Check out this really cool article/resource I found..

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/33795633.pdf

A fantastic lesson for us ALL, including the vet. If you haven't already shared with them please do! :highfive:

Yup, she should and I would be having a word with her.
If it makes any difference people have eaten meat from animals fed antibiotics on a routine basis for many years. Things are more regulated now and this should no longer be happening. I would be surprised if the antibiotic content in an egg would be enough to make you sick, but perhaps consult a doctor making sure she/he knows the make of the antibiotic and the dosage.
People also live their lives oblivious to allergies and food sensitivities. I have many, so I’m sadly used to stomach aches, but I am diligent about paying attention to find patterns. I did call my family doc, and they called back to say it shouldn’t be an issue but to stop eating them and call if I don’t feel well.

Back
Top Bottom