laying hen w/ spurs?

chickie momma di

Songster
11 Years
Jun 6, 2008
Southeastern, MA
ok i need some expert advise here.
hide.gif
i have a 9mo old pullett who is laying every day. my question is has anyone ever heard of a female that has spurs? she is part silver lakenvelder and part barred rock. lays at least one egg a day sometimes 2. very sweet and affaride of her own shadow. could it be the breed or is she having an identity crisis? very interested in the answer to this. please help to explain.
caf.gif

Yes, hens do have spurs. In most breeds it shows up as a simple little nubbin or spot of another color, but some it is bigger than that. Especially with hatchery birds.

A few of my Rhode Island Reds have some really mean spurs on them. I thought maybe I was seeing things but no Cockle doodle doos in the barnyard so I guess they're girls!

can happen but not a huge deal. I had a paint mare that had wolf teeth...mostly only males get them but she did too.

I had the experience of catching a 1 year old cuckoo marans girl, who had HUGE spurs.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Sure, I had heard of it, but these things were at least an inch and a half long!

I wish I had gotten pictures.

There are so many crazy things about chickens.

Back
Top Bottom