Laying Hens Attacking/Killing Other Laying Hens?

Well actually they just have laying paltforms because we live in AZ and if we give them boxes they were overheating. So my hubby took our old nest boxes and drilled big holes all around them, we are hoping they are just mad because they dont have boxes. Thanks for the ideas, we lost another Rhodie last night, I would like to post a picture of what it looks like but it's probably to graphic. Do they have to have a coop? They are in a big enclosure with trees and straw bales for our goats to play on they roost in the trees but maybe chickens have to have an actual coop??? Thanks!

I like the idea of a game cam to get to the bottom "ahem" of this.
Could you possibly have a hidden predator inside the nesting box? like a snake or a rat?
If the girls are pecking the reddened area of the vent while they are laying, the nesting box should be made smaller so that the other girls cannot be together with the laying hen and she has privacy ( just one at a time please)
Until you get a game cam, make it so that the nest boxes are darker and smaller.
Definitly take all the bedding out and change it. Mkae sure no predater is getting in there and sniping at the girls while they are laying.

They are in a big enclosure with trees and straw bales for our goats to play on they roost in the trees but maybe chickens have to have an actual coop???

Wait, you have trees. I'm leaning towards predation. Do you have trees inside and outside your fenced area? Is it covered? Could they be climbing trees on the outside and crossing over? The wounds sound like opposums. I've seen them go for the vent area on more than one occasion. Do you find them dead first thing in the morning, or in the middle of the day?

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem I have lost Three 8 week old pullets so they are not laying yet and we don't have predators here in Southern Arizona other than coyotes and hawks and they would do more damage if they were able to get in the pen. It can only be from the other chicks. The only thing I can think of is that it is so hot here right now. So I'm adding electrolytes to their water tomorrow and hope that helps. I've never seen this before they completely opened the cavity and they are not pecking each other on the head at all.

Ok seems to be under control now, unfotunatly we had to put the nest boxes back into the pen to allow the Orpingotns to mellow out. All the other chickens were fine laying in the straw and the platforms but the Orpingtons wouldn't stand for it. The sad part is that the nest boxes were the reason we lost most of our first flock, they would overheat while nesting on their eggs in the AZ summers. Guess we will just have to check for eggs more often. However a new question is why would my chickens which are brown egg layers be laying almost a white color egg?
Thanks!

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your troubles, I also live in AZ near Wickenburg and it gets hot! 111 today and our girls have no trouble using their boxes, most lay before noon and hang out in the shade the rest of the day for the most part. Hope you get this figured out....

I have not seen this, but I have dealt with rats, (and chickens, and cockatiels), and a rodent hiding below the nest box...hmmmm, the idea has potential..

Hope you solve the mystery. Sorry about the loss of your birds.

Your losses have absolutely not been caused by the chickens -- there must be a predator, and it must be something relatively small, and not interested in eating a whole chicken. I think I recall reading that rats and opossums will take a bite from a chicken, and leave the rest of the body, so either of those 2 critters could be the cause. Not a weasel -- they tend to bite off the heads, and usually kill several or many in one night, not one per visit. Any other predator I am familiar with would eat more of the chicken or take more of them at one time.

Back
Top Bottom