Laying hens with "water belly" or "ascites"?

Pics
Sorry, more info is always good!

She is an RIR, 2 years old, was previously laying 5-6 eggs a week and then stopped abruptly 1 month ago. I don't know her full laying history as I only got her this spring, but during the time I had her she was a regular layer up till now. She came with 3 others and they are laying as per usual.

Her comb colour is normal, and she acts normal - runs to meet me when I have food with the rest of the ladies, hunt for food, etc. She came with lice so am currently treating that.

I would say to eliminate other possibles first. Lice and mites can stop egg laying as can worms so I would worm her and check for mite.
I would also check for secret nests if she free ranges and for any egg eating if she's perhaps laying soft shelled eggs then snapping them up. Look for residue in the nesting box or under the perches.
Sometimes internal laying can give the hens abdomen a squishy full feel too but not as full as ascites.
With ascites my hen was stood legs apart like a cowboy. Her comb was really red, like a cartoon. Her abdomen was really distended and she had stopped eating in the last couple of days. I drained her, following kathys intrusions on the site and she is doing well now on medication mentioned in this thread.

With internal laying my hen was active and had normal behaviours. Her poop could be runny and in the end was green. The fluid in the abdomen gave the impression that she was ok when in fact she was thin and underweight. I treated her with baytril and periodically flushed her vent in the bath. She survived for a year like this.

Post a pic if you can of her.

Love to you both
Shabana x

I was told that if the hen's an internal layer, when you try to drain the fluid, it is thicker, cloudy, and more viscuous. Fluid from another reason (heart, liver, cancer, whatever) is clear to amber colored, and not cloudy or thick.

I keep forgetting to get a pic of Bitsy when I'm out there, I'll try to remember tomorrow. :) She still seems like she's doing alright.

Glad to hear Bitsy is still doing well. I didn't know that about the fluid colour. Good info.
Hope kwelch's RIR is doing ok ( sorry didn't see her name) and she can post a pic so we can see her tummy.

Boots is still fluid free. She has settled well on 0.2 ml.
She's not super active but she's assertive and still wants treats and whatnot. She is pretty old at 7 so although she's involved in flock business, she's not dashing about like a mad thing. She's on week 6 so I am pretty pleased as she really was at deaths door.

Best wishes to you both x

THAT IS GREAT NEWS! Money well spent, I'm sure.
smile.png

If there is anyone in Tempe, AZ who has drained their hen, and is willing to help me... please give a shout out... I'm way to nervous to be able to do this to my hen Kohl...
I've had her isolated and she's had 3 baths over the last week ... she seems better to be in better spirits, just still bloated...

Quote:
I found someone I know who's a people nurse, and she helped me. Just a thought, in case you haven't thought of that. Maybe you could ask your vet's office for someone to help you. In the meantime, you could try the Milkthistle and/ or Zyfend.

Thanks
I'm going to try to get milk thistle at Sprouts or Whole foods tomorrow.
but since it's been a week, if I can find someone to help drain her, I really think that
will help her out a lot... She will be two in October. And I can't even think of losing her yet...

I don't think I can get prescription meds, but I've been using some doxycycline I had left over..
It's one of the suggestions I read

I asked the people I know have chickens and no one has ever had to do this.
I've had chickens before, and never ran into this...

And my tortoise has eaten all the dandelions that usually pop up in my yard!

So sorry to hear about your hen. I was terrified when I drained boots but it was definitely a live or die situation. Boots laid very still once her head was covered with the towel so thankfully I could do it alone. Afterwards I kept her very warm and dry helping her take water. She's now on her 3rd month or frusol. She has 0.2 ml every day and is fluid free and doing well. She is 7. She's a sablepoot so very small. I drained almost 200 ml from her which is a lot for her size following kathys instructions on this site. Gravity did the rest.
I had to use a sewing needle that was pretty thick. Obviously sterilised, as it was all I could get.

I hope you get through this.
Thinking about you

Shabana x

How did you use a sewing needle?
just poke a hole and hope it drained???
or did you squeeze her belly,
and how did you measure the liquid if you did not have a syringe
thanks

do you have a link to the instructions, or should I just search through this thread

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom