Laying hens with "water belly" or "ascites"?

Pics
Had to dispatch one of my oldest 3 year old birds today who was suffering from this as well. She has had it going for a few months now, I noticed she had a hard time walking - probably from the fluid build-up. Today was the first I noticed her labored breathing and extended wings, before almost falling over at times. Her comb had recently darkened significantly although her tail had been drooping down for months.

I considered treating her, but after reading: i thought it best to cull her and bury her.

Is this disease transmittable to other birds? Should I take any precautions for my 12 other birds?

RIP: Sweet pea <3

-Mike

From what I have learned, no it's not contagious.. Certain breeds seem to be susceptible to it, more than others. Especially breeds that are bred to lay prolifically. Barred Rocks seem to be especially susceptible to it. It can be caused by ovarian cancer, internal laying. liver issues, heart problems. .

From what I have learned, no it's not contagious.. Certain breeds seem to be susceptible to it, more than others.  Especially breeds that are bred to lay prolifically.  Barred Rocks seem to be especially susceptible to it.  It can be caused by ovarian cancer, internal laying. liver issues, heart problems. .

I agree. It is not contagious, but depending on the issue it can be genetic

Had to dispatch one of my oldest 3 year old birds today who was suffering from this as well. She has had it going for a few months now, I noticed she had a hard time walking - probably from the fluid build-up. Today was the first I noticed her labored breathing and extended wings, before almost falling over at times. Her comb had recently darkened significantly although her tail had been drooping down for months.

I considered treating her, but after reading: i thought it best to cull her and bury her.

Is this disease transmittable to other birds? Should I take any precautions for my 12 other birds?

RIP: Sweet pea <3

-Mike
I'm sorry you had to cull her, but at that point, you probably made the right decision. Unfortunately, once they develop it, it's not going away unless you can correct the underlying problem. Bitsy is starting to walk, rather than run, as she would normally. I'm getting worried about her, but, she's still eating, jumping up on her perch, drinking, and enjoying her med-treats....so...I'm leaving her alone for now. I wish I had the guts to cull my own birds...which I still don't. :(

I'm sorry you had to cull her, but at that point, you probably made the right decision. Unfortunately, once they develop it, it's not going away unless you can correct the underlying problem. Bitsy is starting to walk, rather than run, as she would normally. I'm getting worried about her, but, she's still eating, jumping up on her perch, drinking, and enjoying her med-treats....so...I'm leaving her alone for now. I wish I had the guts to cull my own birds...which I still don't. :(

Thanks for the support everyone. This is indeed a great community of chicken owners.

One of the effects of this disease was that Sweet Pea didn't roost at night on the perches anymore: but that probably had to do with her limited mobility due to the fluid buildup. She'd sleep on the floor of the coop :(

It's always hard to kill them, all I can say is think about the chicken before your own emotions on it: and use a very sharp hand axe. Done right, its over very quickly and painfully. Digging the grave in the dry summer ground poses a harder task than culling the bird. I would suggest digging the hole first so you can cull the bird and put her straight into the ground.

I do not like the idea of throwing any animals (pets or not) into the trash. I just don't think it's right.

I don't like that either. We bury ours deeply, in a graveyard a long way from the barn, so that it doesn't attract predators to the barn. Sometimes coyotes dig them up anyway...but better the dead ones than preying on the live ones.

Bitsy is obviously retaining fluid again, to the point where eventually I'm going to have to do something. The Zyfend does still seem to be helping slow that progress.
I hate to cull her...because she's so happy in every other way, and not acting sick. She's bright and happy. I know it's kind of pointless....but I'm thinking about maybe draining her
again..... if she gets too more bloated. This is the bad part of treating the sick ones, because I get too attached to them.

When I say cartoon red I mean super red. Like a child would paint it. Super bright. Not dark like wine but just more vivid. Hope that makes sense.

I hope Bitsy has more time :( I feel quite attached to her myself even at this long distance. I'm glad she's happy in herself, that's a big thing, and for me the most important really. I know you'll do what you feel is right for her and you should have confidence in that. Obviously you love her and there's a bond there now you've treated her, so trust that.

Boots is still doing well on the frusol. No fluid whatsoever, and happy.
Soon she will have gone 4 months since I drained her, and she will be 8 at the end of the year and still laying bless her. We do discard her eggs though because of her meds - just in case.

All I aim for is a little bit more time. If she starts to suffer again I wouldn't let it go on. At the moment though my old lady has her dancing shoes on :)

Back
Top Bottom