Laying hens with "water belly" or "ascites"?

Pics
That's such a great inspirational story, lol. May Boots she live long and prosper.
big_smile.png
I have a hen who's nine, still laying. She's amazing. Arthritic little thing, but very spunky. I wish the roosters would leave her alone, one of them pulled a big chunk of feathers out of her neck.
sad.png
Anyway, thanks for the well wishes. Bitsy chased another hen away from the water today, so she's still feeling ok. Just waddling a bit. I have another nurse friend who's volunteered to help, so we'll evaluate her this weekend.....I wish I had an extra couple hundred lying around, for the avian vet. But they are just insanely expensive here.
sad.png

Last edited:
WE drained Bitsy again today. it was totally painless as far as I could tell, for her. We withdrew another cup and a half of fluid and she's in the hospital pen for the next day or so, where she can stay clean and we can watch her. She ate a big dinner and seems to be feeling better. :)

Kohl
Is a bit swollen in the under belly, but I'm pretty sure
She is laying eggs again...
Is it safe for her?
Or should I try to drain her out again?
She seems happy.
Before I saw her go to the nesting box, my husband and I
Had decided that we would only drain her again if she stops roosting at night

That's what originally alerted me that something was very wrong,
She wouldn't roost on the fence with her sisters

At opinions?

Boots started laying again within a couple of weeks of being drained. Now she's on frusol we discard her eggs but the vet says it's fine that she lays and not a worry.
The laying should be starting to slow now with the day's getting shorter here in the uk so she will get a break, but she seems quite happy to do her bit still and so I would say if she's fluid free, roosting and laying you've got a relatively happy girl there :)

D.gif
Poor Kohl...
sad.png

She swelled up again, and could not get on the fence with her sisters...
So Back to the "chicken hospital" (dog crate) she went...
hide.gif

We didn't pull as much liquid out this time, I don't know if we caught it
faster, or if this is the left over from last time...
droolin.gif

Hopefully over the fall she gets better...
wee.gif

Thanks for being there in case I need you
Beth

I'm sorry you guys have had to go through this again so soon. But it doesn't really hurt them to keep doing it, and they do seem to feel so much better after the procedure. Have you tried the Milkthistle or Zyfend?
Hope she is feeling better soon!

Back
Top Bottom