Laying hens with "water belly" or "ascites"?

Pics
Ohio. We have not had AI here, but don'[t want it, either, so the State has us locked down.

I can post pics of the chicks but I know from experience that they will change colors and markings as they get older. I'm hoping they are all hens, but not sure yet about that either, of course. They are 5 weeks old. Sposed to rain for the next couple of days but when they go out again I'll try to grab some pics of them.

Thank you, everyone, for your input on this thread! We have a couple of our ladies who are distended right now. The two-yr-old more so than the four-yr-old! I believe we may need to drain the younger one, she is so big. But I think I may try milk thistle or another herb source of a diuretic for them and see how they do. You have all given me confidence!

I think dandelions are also a diuretic and they can be made into a "tea" which is available at health food shops. They are a bit scarce tho otherwise at this time of year.
Best of luck with your two girls xx

This is gross, but actually explains some things for some people who might want to know more about ascites. I looked at it again while eating lunch....:p

Necropsy: Graphic. Ascites (fluid filled abdomen) after illness

Darn, Idk why it won't post the link, but anyway, that's the title of the thread, if you want to go to it.

Last edited:
Ooh pics of the chicks?
I will try to get some today. I let the chicks and their mom out last week, and she did not stay with them at night. First thing, one of them got eaten.
sad.png
Or at least I guess so, because he disappeared. We're thinking the skunk again. Anyway, I think the three remaining are hens. One almost certainly is, she has the same coloring as her mother, exactly. Stand by for more.

I have a beautiful RIR rescue who has big swollen belly. I've been reading the posts thinking Im dealing with ascites or internal layer. She goes into the nnests but no egg .How do I give milk thistle to her and how much do I give to her? Does anyone know a source for fusol? Nott sure I spelled fusol right. Someone posted they got a med that stopped the abdomenal swelling. Id like to give this so I don't have to drain her . I wormed her last week . She is running around and eating fine.

Last edited:
Quote:
As far as the Milkthistle, I gave Bitsy 1/3 capsule twice a day when she was really swollen, and when she was less so I gave her 1/3 to 1/2 capsule per day. Usually when I gave her the Zyfend I did not give her the Milkthistle too unless it was really bad. Shabana (who used the Fusol) lives in England, I believe, and I'm not sure Fusol is available in the US, but I haven't looked into it. I did try to find Lasix, which is basically the same thing, I think...but couldn't find it without a vet's prescription. I did contact the vet but I could nof afford what he wanted, as he wanted to charge for exam too, of course. Do try to drain your hen, because that is the best way...draining her, and then giving the Milkthistle, is the best way. Remember though that unless you identify and correct the underlying problem, treatment is only temporary. :( If you don't want to drain her, Lasix is the answer. Please let us know if you find some, and figure out the dosage. I loved my little Bitsy, and I'd love to have more Barred Rocks, but since they seem to tend to get Ascites, that would be the reason I don't get more. Milkthistle may help some, in the meantime, even if you don't drain her. You can also try dandelion tea.

Last edited:
Yes I live in England. My vet prescribed FRUSOL which I give my chicken Boots. She is very small ( sablepoot ) and was prescribed 0.3 ml once a day, I knocked this down to 0.2 ml and this has successfully kept all her fluid away. She has been well ever since.
It is a human medicine that can be given to animals and I pick it up from our local pharmacy each month.

I hope this helps.
Best wishes xx

Frusol oral solution contains the active ingredient furosemide (previously spelt frusemide in the UK), which is a type of medicine called a loop diuretic. ... Furosemide is used to treat conditions where excess fluid has been retained.

LASIX® (furosemide) is exactly the same thing. Be aware it comes in different strengths and if given in excessive amounts, can lead to a profound diuresis with water and electrolyte depletion. The strength Boots is on is the lowest 20mg/5ml and is given 0.2ml once a day. Its amazing how such a tiny amount can make such a huge difference.

best wishes
Shabana xx

Back
Top Bottom