laying hens

Squatting is when a hen hunkers down low to the ground to be mated by a rooster. They do this when mature and is a sign that indicates they are old enough to lay. This can start a couple weeks before they begin to lay.

Other signs are them getting chatty/loud. Checking out the nests boxes, bright red combs ect.

Wish ya the best.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

They will usually squat when you lean over them if they are of laying age. They will open their wings, reposition their feet and squat down low to the ground. This, along with a thick full red comb, face and wattles and the eggs should be coming soon! When they start in with all this, get them on layer feed and oyster shell on the side.

Good luck and I hope they start laying soon!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. The other members have done a good job in answering your question. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting those eggs.

Well, I'm a little bummed.
Or maybe I'm just a bad chicken mom.

Penny STILL is not laying.
I've had her nearly 2 weeks.
I took her photo to the Urban Farm Store today and the guy sort of snickers and says, "She's no 5 month old bird! She's older than that!"

I said, "How much older?'

He said there's no way to tell.

She's beautiful.
Her feathers are so pretty and soft.
She's fat as a cow - she has a good appetite - and a funny personality.

But her comb and wattles are not red - they're sort of pale today.
The younger birds have more color.
I thought she might be singing the egg song the other day, but someone on the forum said she was probably just upset being caged.

I'm just stressing over this bird.

Am I crazy?

She's such a sweet hen - but I can't afford to feed her if she's not going to lay.
How long should I give her to start laying after coming off being "broody" according to the lady who I bought her from???

If anyone is in Portland, Oregon and has room for her, she's a sweet girl, however old she is.
I think I have to find her a new home.

Anyone want to guess her age and if she'll ever lay again?

Patience is a virtue when waiting for a hen to lay. The Speckled Sussex is a mature but not an aged bird. The move has stopped her from laying, and you will have to give her time to adjust to her new home - chickens hate change.

Back
Top Bottom