Laying on Side

ZuniBee

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
Zuni, Virginia
I took my two week old chicks outside today for their second venture outside. They were all laying on their side with one leg extended and the wing on the same side extended open like an umbrella. I was wondering why they do that? To make them look bigger? To shade them? It was pretty cool....

Yup they are sunbathing!
smile.png

Ohmygosh! THANK YOU for not knowing!
big_smile.png
When we brought our little babies home two of them were about a week old. They had been on a wire cage in the feed store and we put them onto a solid floor. One of the "bigger" birds pretty soon, flopped over, scratched around and laid there. Getting up, flopping and scratching around every so often.

I was so sure that a BAD sign, I told my kids I thought she was dying to try to break the news gently. A few days later as the others started doing it, I figured out what it was! Sooo glad she's fine, but boy did I feel like a goober! (In all honesty, I STILL watch pretty closely when they do it. Can't help myself.)

Lisa

After the man took the boys away I went in to check on the ones left. They were laying like that in a sun spot. One kept scratching his leg like his was having a seizure or something. Good thing I knew what was going on.

Back
Top Bottom