Laying Out

fmk

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Ballyhire
My five hens are about 25 weeks old and have been laying for the past 5 weeks. From the start they have used both laying box to lay their 4 or 5 eggs per day. Today I found an egg outside the coop - on the grass of the chicken run. Is this normal or something I should worry about? Thanks in advance for your help - Frank

Every now and then we notice an egg laid out of place and not in a nest and we have plenty of nesting boxes and space available! We don't worry about it, we just pick the egg up and either put it in a nest or put it in the incubator. If it happened every day then we might think maybe we needed more nesting places...how many actual nests did you say that you had for 5 laying chickens? Maybe they are all trying to lay at about the same time each day!!
idunno.gif

Our hens only laid outside the coop when there was a shortage of the "perfect" nesting spot. Right now they have 6 different nests but the one 5 gallon bucket is the perfect nest and they all want to lay in it. Time for another bucket and I will take out the laundry basket that was last summer's prime real estate.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom