Laying outside the nest boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lilyrose, Nov 19, 2012.

1. lilyrose

lilyrose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2012
    I have six chickens, all about egg laying age. However, three are officially giving us three eggs a day. For weeks they have been laying the nest boxes and now today and yesterday we have two eggs that are randomly in the hay in the inside coop on the floor. Is this common, and although I don't mind picking them up it just seems weird that they wouldn't want to go into the nest box to lay, especially when they had been doing that. I can't discern which one is doing it and it might be the newest hen that just started laying.

2. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    I keep a golf ball in each nesting box and even still, I get the occasional egg outside the boxes. When that happens, I put the eggs in the egg boxes and leave them for a day or 2, it seems to remind them where they're supposed to be laying.

3. lilyrose

lilyrose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2012
    Oh good idea. I am also wondering if it actually fell out of the nest box, cause I found them right under the box they typically lay in. Thanks for the response

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by