laying pellets

When I was looking for some chickens I called a lady on Craigslist and talked to her about what to feed when to change over to layers, and she told me she would not feed her chickens pellets because she had a chicken choke to death on some
hide.gif
Yikes right after I just baught a 50lb bag of pellets.

I have my 16 week pullets with 2 year old hens and have both crumbles and pellets available. The older girls eat the crumbles like it's the best thing they've ever tasted, leaving me no choice but to ensure oyster shell supplements are available. I'm impressed the little guys will pick around at the higher calcium feed and oyster shell but never eat much of it. The older ones will eat the oyster shells when needed and I've had no issues with soft egg shells. So, my guess is that if you offer the higher calcium pellets, the young ones will eat it when they need more calcium in their diets or if there's nothing else available.

I think everyone for their advice, I out out just pellets for them to eat. I will see how long it will take them to eat the pellets. I love this site I have gotten so much information. I am new to this whole raising chickens.

Another qestion? What should I put in their nesting box? Straw hay or pine shavings. Which one is better.

Last edited:
I bought layer pellets for my 15 week old chicks....I didn't mean to....just wasn't paying attention. I just hope I didn't do any damage to them. They get freerange though all day.

I've never given my chickens oyster shell, or grit for that matter. They free range every day, or everyother day and I've never really had problems with soft shelled eggs. Very rarely I will, but I mostly think the young pullets are the ones laying those.

I use hay in my nests. Sometimes Pine shavings, just depends what I have on hand at the moment.

~ Aspen
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom