Laying Problems

Haha. Through trial and error I finally have a good male to female ratio. That definitely has an adverse effect upon laying. I will try the nesting box. Thanks for suggestion!

Hi all,
Wondering if I could get some advice please I have a pair of call ducks, which we adore our duck started laying for the first time in March and to start with she was quite frequent they have a lovely set up are left to rome free in the garden , have a pond , cosy pen to sleep and a feeding area & nesting box. But she has never layed in the same place just recently she has gone of lay , when she does lay its in 3-4 diff places including the pond and isn't in the slightest bit broody. They have a diet of 2 part layers pellet 1 part corn and I mix duck & chicken egg shells in there food for extra calcium & grit. They seem happy ducks but don't know what to do , have tried collecting all her eggs up that she does lay and putting them in a clutch in her laying box but she isn't interested ?? Any advice would be brill thanks. Rebecca

Hi all,
Wondering if I could get some advice please I have a pair of call ducks, which we adore our duck started laying for the first time in March and to start with she was quite frequent they have a lovely set up are left to rome free in the garden , have a pond , cosy pen to sleep and a feeding area & nesting box. But she has never layed in the same place just recently she has gone of lay , when she does lay its in 3-4 diff places including the pond and isn't in the slightest bit broody. They have a diet of 2 part layers pellet 1 part corn and I mix duck & chicken egg shells in there food for extra calcium & grit. They seem happy ducks but don't know what to do , have tried collecting all her eggs up that she does lay and putting them in a clutch in her laying box but she isn't interested ?? Any advice would be brill thanks. Rebecca
I am going to let @Lacrystol answer about Calls since that is what she has. I don't know that much about Calls but I do know some on here have had the call female go broody.

Welcome to BYC

Haha. Through trial and error I finally have a good male to female ratio. That definitely has an adverse effect upon laying. I will try the nesting box. Thanks for suggestion!
Yes it does I had 4 drakes at one time just in the last couple months re homed 2 the flock is calmer too. Now if I can just convince the girls they don't have to go broody every time they lay a few eggs.
hmm.png

Hi all,

Including the Pond, I LOVE IT, Mine use to do that.. LOL

The corn shouldn't be given each day perhaps cut that down to about once a week, All's corn does is make them regain Fat, its ok if you provide more in the winter to get threw the harsh winters if your winters are anything like mine but not necessary on a day to day meal..

You can't make them interested when they are ready they are ready. I have two girls that went broody and both first timers. When they are ready they will do it. They will also find a spot that is somewhere hidden. I have one behind my barn under the mower and another up at the front of my yard, in some tall weeds by a tree. They will pick there comfy spot and compile some leaves and plant themselves. I also noticed my girls will come out during the day acting like a normal wondering duck by night they are on those eggs. They usually do this the first week, after that they plant themselves 24/7 and do not get off at all. The boys will come up and hang with her during the day but by night time they are ready to head into the coop for bed time.

Yours may not start laying 24/7 until they get older, I would say by fall they may. Being a first time layer, mother hood just hasn't kicked in yet for them.

Including the Pond, I LOVE IT,  Mine use to do that.. LOL

The corn shouldn't be given each day perhaps cut that down to about once a week, All's corn does is make them regain Fat, its ok if you provide more in the winter to get threw the harsh winters if your winters are anything like mine but not necessary on a day to day meal..

You can't make them interested when they are ready they are ready. I have two girls that went broody and both first timers.  When they are ready they will do it.  They will also find a spot that is somewhere hidden.  I have one behind my barn under the mower and another up at the front of my yard, in some tall weeds by a tree.  They will pick there comfy spot and compile some leaves and plant themselves.  I also noticed my girls will come out during the day acting like a normal wondering duck by night they are on those eggs.  They usually do this the first week, after that they plant themselves 24/7 and do not get off at all.  The boys will come up and hang with her during the day but by night time they are ready to head into the coop for bed time. 

Yours may not start laying 24/7 until they get older, I would say by fall they may.  Being a first time layer, mother hood just hasn't kicked in yet for them.

Thankyou for your response , I suppose I will have to wait and be patient then. Is it just mine as i have read about giving extra various foods as a treat sometimes but mine won't eat anything extra they love foridging in the garden but tried them with berries, rice, peas, ect I don't suppose they are like chickens.

I am probably expecting to much of her ... But as my mum has a pair of call ducks younger than mine and lay frequently , have gone broody , and today hatched 4 beautiful ducklings ... Makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong? Lol

Back
Top Bottom