Laying rates for different breeds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Now that my O.C. hubby is finally starting to take an interest in my poultry endeavors, he’s asked that I compile a chart of the breeds I have, along with their laying habits so he can gauge the egg production per breed. I realize there are many factors & these would be averages & estimates and I also realize that many of the rare breeds are rare because they are poor layers or have poor fertility rates.

This chart will also help with my “bargaining” with the number of birds I have—i.e. poor layers, I may be able to have four hens per one roo, vs. a pair or a trio.

Nearly all of the breeds I have at this moment, I've never owned during their productive time...so I'm pretty much clueless as to what lays what, (or doesn't).

Is there a chart somewhere on the internet that shows different breeds & their laying habits?

Something like:
    Breed
    Average # of eggs per week
    Average # of eggs per month
    Price per 1/2 dozen
    Potential Profit per month

If not, can anyone elp me figure it out?

Here are the breeds I expect to have laying next spring:
    Bantam Chickens
    Porcelain d'Uccles
    Salmon Faverolles
    Sultans

Standard Breeds of Chickens
    Light Brahmas
    Golden Laced Cochins
    Lemon-Blue Cochins
    Blue/Splash Cochins
    Blue Orpingtons
    Salmon Faverolles
    Black Sumatras
    Mottled Houdans
    Appenzeller Spitzhauben

Waterfowl
    Muscovy Ducks
    (chocolate pieds, black pieds, blues, barreds)
    Sebastopol Geese
    Black Cayuga Ducks

Bantam Waterfowl
    Bantam Silky Ducks

Thanks!

2. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Well, on My Pet Chicken they have some good egg stats on their breeds page. Go to "about chickens'' on the top, scroll down and click on "breeds list" then click on the different breeds you want.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Thanks, I'll try that out!

4. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
  5. Rare Feathers Farm

Oohhhh, thank you!

6. Curlita

Curlita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    There is an amazing excel spreadsheet that lists the number of eggs laid, on average, along with a bunch of other specs:

http://www.kippengrabbelton.be/engels/

Go to the Chicken Breeds section and you can download the excel from the bottom of that page.

Not only does it give the average number of eggs per year, but average size of hen and average size of egg. Your husband could have a field day figuring out feed:egg ratios and all kinds of stuff!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by