Laying rates for different breeds?

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
Now that my O.C. hubby is finally starting to take an interest in my poultry endeavors, he’s asked that I compile a chart of the breeds I have, along with their laying habits so he can gauge the egg production per breed. I realize there are many factors & these would be averages & estimates and I also realize that many of the rare breeds are rare because they are poor layers or have poor fertility rates.

This chart will also help with my “bargaining” with the number of birds I have—i.e. poor layers, I may be able to have four hens per one roo, vs. a pair or a trio.

Nearly all of the breeds I have at this moment, I've never owned during their productive time...so I'm pretty much clueless as to what lays what, (or doesn't).

Is there a chart somewhere on the internet that shows different breeds & their laying habits?

Something like:
Breed
Average # of eggs per week
Average # of eggs per month
Price per 1/2 dozen
Potential Profit per month

If not, can anyone elp me figure it out?

Here are the breeds I expect to have laying next spring:
Bantam Chickens
Porcelain d'Uccles
Salmon Faverolles
Sultans

Standard Breeds of Chickens
Light Brahmas
Golden Laced Cochins
Lemon-Blue Cochins
Blue/Splash Cochins
Blue Orpingtons
Salmon Faverolles
Black Sumatras
Mottled Houdans
Appenzeller Spitzhauben

Waterfowl
Muscovy Ducks
(chocolate pieds, black pieds, blues, barreds)
Sebastopol Geese
Black Cayuga Ducks

Bantam Waterfowl
Bantam Silky Ducks

Thanks!

Well, on My Pet Chicken they have some good egg stats on their breeds page. Go to "about chickens'' on the top, scroll down and click on "breeds list" then click on the different breeds you want.

There is an amazing excel spreadsheet that lists the number of eggs laid, on average, along with a bunch of other specs:

http://www.kippengrabbelton.be/engels/

Go to the Chicken Breeds section and you can download the excel from the bottom of that page.

Not only does it give the average number of eggs per year, but average size of hen and average size of egg. Your husband could have a field day figuring out feed:egg ratios and all kinds of stuff!

Back
Top Bottom