Pre-Laying Ovulation: laying 2 consecutive eggs in less than 24 hours

Pinoy Angelfish

Songster
11 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Philippines
Palawan naked neck hen  IMG20230630181626.jpg

This naked neck hen is the reason for searching and posting/sharing this topic On her first clutch she laid 13 eggs for 13 consecutive days- without skipping a day before going broody. This was unexpected because in all the articles I've read about the number of eggs laid per week, it is 4-5 or 5-6 eggs per week for good layers. So when she laid her 3rd egg, i was expecting she would skip a day. But the next day she laid her 4th egg. Well tomorrow, I thought, she'll skip laying but I was wrong she laid her 5th egg. And the next day she laid again and again...I was curious, how come...? However i did not search yet, but only after I recorded the egg laying times and intervals of her 3rd egg laying cycle. Pre-laying ovulation does not happen every time an egg is laid but it happens enough times to keep her laying in the morning.

I saved the article as a pdf file and was just trying to find the web article to share the link but its not appearing ...anyway here are the screen shots of the article's title and the section where it mentions about ovulation before egg laying.

INRAE Selection of hens 1.jpg

INRAE Selection of hens 2.jpg

"..., in approximately 1,370 RI reared in individual cages, Wolc et al. (2010) measured a minimum average time interval between laying per hen of 21 h 02 min ± 1 h 22 min and a maximum average of 27 h 17 min ± 1 h 22 min. In some hens, ovulation may occur slightly before laying of the previous egg, which may explain laying intervals of less than 24 h (Nys and Guyot, 2011)."

Also in the article it said: "...indicating that egg production could be increased by selecting hens with a small average time interval and those that laid eggs early in the day. "

This hen has been crossed to an egg laying hybrid roo for my chicken breeding project: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/climate-smart-naked-neck-egg-layer-chicken-breeding-project-in-palawan-philippines.1587407/

Attachments

• Palawan naked neck hen  IMG20230630181626.jpg
    Palawan naked neck hen IMG20230630181626.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 3
  • INRAE Selection of hens 1.jpg
    INRAE Selection of hens 1.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 3
  • INRAE Selection of hens 2.jpg
    INRAE Selection of hens 2.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 3
On her first clutch she laid 13 eggs for 13 consecutive days- without skipping a day before going broody. This was unexpected because in all the articles I've read about the number of eggs laid per week, it is 4-5 or 5-6 eggs per week for good layers.
Some can lay every day...not common but not unprecedented.

Some can lay every day...not common but not unprecedented.
Yes not common especially for a native chicken that goes broody regularly, unlike the heritage chicken breeds which were selectively bred to lay from 250 eggs up in one year but still not common even among these heritage breeds. As mentioned in the article some of the Rhode Island Reds, considered a good layer breed, were laying at an interval of 27 hours.

With the cross breeding to heritage breeds which are continuous layers, having this pre-laying ovulation trait in my laying chickens will result in more eggs produced per year.

Back
Top Bottom