LAYING Silkie acting like a rooster

MissSilkie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 28, 2014
Hi. I have a silkie hen who recently layed her first egg. Before she laid it she was acting like a rooster, did "the dance" a couple times, crowed every morning with her man, and started pecking some of our new poulets. I am positive the egg was hers, and here are my reasons why:
1 I put her in her own nesting box for the night to sleep, and the next day I came out to check on everyone and feed, water, etc, and there was the egg, laying in the spot she had slept in
2 the egg is half the size of our other hen's eggs (when they where laying >:l).
3 none of the other hens or poulets ever go in her box, only her man (her silkie brother/boyfriend) would sometimes sleep in it with her, but usually he would curl up by the heated water dish, or in the far corner towards the back of the coop.
4, none of our hens have layed n a while, one has never laid one in her life, so obviously it wasn't their's.
Please help. She hasn't been showing as much rooster behavior since the egg, but still sings the song of her people in the morning. Unfortunatly, our rooster's crow sounds like a deranged hyena, and her's sounds like she's being eaten alive and screaming for help. urg. Would a NOCrow collar work on her? Our roo has one but it dosen't really help. She is so sweet towards people, and will fall asleep in your arms, and occasionally preen your hand. Is there any way to get her to stop crowing, besides NOCrow?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I wish I could say there was a way to stop crowing, but I don't think there is. I think I did hear of a member actually getting a surgery done on their rooster to quiet the crow. Are your neighbors complaining?

I'm glad I live out in the country. My rooster, Robin, crows quite often and I love the sound. I don't think my neighbors mind either, because their young daughters often play a game where they crow back at him, and so he will crow to them, they make a crowing sound to him. It's so funny!

No, my neighbors don't complain. Well, atleast they shouldn't what with their dogs barking and howling all day. Thanks for your help, and yes we have looked into the surgery for our previous rooster who was not a bantam.

Can you post a picture of her? Silkies are notoriously hard to sex, and it is entirely possible that someone else laid that egg regardless of previous behavior (like never laying in that box before). It's not unheard of for hens to act like roos, but its not an everyday thing either. None of my Silkie hens have ever crowed, but on the flip side, they always have a rooster. And many others on this forum have had it happen to them.

If you really want to see if the egg came from her, you could put a couple drops of food dye in her vent. If shes laying, and the dye is in there, the egg will come out with a colored streak on it if its hers. If someone else is putting it there, it'll be clean

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom