Laying small eggs at 19 weeks!?

mtsmylie

Chirping
12 Years
Dec 20, 2010
Pullman, WA
When we got our first group of Plymouth Barred Rock hens, they started laying eggs at just under 6 months (23 weeks, I think), and once they started laying, they were regular-sized eggs with your occasional jumbo double-yolker.

Our newest group of PBRs (incubated and hatched from the first group) turned 19 weeks today, and for the last 3-4 days, we've been getting a few tiny (about 2 inches from end-to-end) eggs each day, which we are certain are from the young ones.

I know it's possible, but unusual, for BRs to lay eggs at 19 weeks, but it just surprised us since their moms didn't. But is it normal for early-layers to start off with teeny eggs? They're pretty comically small compared to their moms' eggs, and I just want to make sure there's nothing wrong with them. They're all eating the same organic feed and free-ranging all day, so there's no other difference I can think of.

Some of my eggs were on the smaller side at first but then once they got the hang of laying they were normal size. The chicks bodies are still developing and so is their production system. Give'm a little time.

Our white rock pullet started laying at about 17 weeks. That was about a month ago, and the eggs are still tiny. She lays at least 6 out of 7 days per week. We got one last week that was under an ounce!! (.885oz, to be exact) I weigh them daily. The one today was 1.41 oz. The tiniest one was nearly all yolk.

Back
Top Bottom