Laying started early and unprepared - are these normal?

MatthewMChickens

Chirping
Apr 4, 2021
Hi Everyone!

Two of my four little chickens have started laying - at almost exactly 18 weeks. Reading on this forum and others, I was not expecting it to be honest. I kind of thought it would be a bit later 🥴.

I have two Isa Browns and two Australorps - and today I saw two eggs.
They are still on their pullet feed (8-16 weeks) and haven't offered any calcium supplements so far.
I'll attach photos of the two eggs - is there a problem with them?

I've been meaning to go out and get things sorted, but with strict lockdown in Sydney, and only 1person/household being allowed to leave per day, getting chickens ready for laying has not been on the top of the to-do list, especially because I thought I had a few more weeks up my sleeve!

I'll change the feed soon, but other than that, I just want to make sure the eggs are okay. Is there anything else I need to do?
Also, if calcium were to be offered, do I just leave it out on a dish?

Eggs: https://imgur.com/a/b1jobNv

Thank you so much!
Matthew M

I would free feed supplemental calcium on the side in a small dish or feeder. They look normal to me, just looks like the bloom is a bit irregular! I sometimes see eggs like this in older hens and this might improve with age :) I wouldn't worry and just make sure they get the calcium soon! You could also bake and crush egg shells in the meantime to make sure they have enough calcium.

Back
Top Bottom