1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying time change with return to standard time

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Nov 10, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    With our return to standard time this last weekend, my ducks are laying really early. They have typically laid between 6-7am and this week have have been laying before 5 am. I am wondering whether they are likely to continue to lay that early or with light changes the laying time will likely change (first year newbie silly question)?[​IMG]

2. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Anybody?

3. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    The ducks don't know anything about the time change. They simply lay early in the morning. I would think that as the sun rises later and later, they will also lay later and later.

4. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Well, that's what I wondered. With "falling back" they are laying extra early. But thought maybe the light change would affect when they laid. Sure doesn't seem to be affecting it yet. 3:30am is a little early to be up and laying!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:How do you know they are laying that early? are you spying on them? [​IMG]

6. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Video camera.....been watching since I was out there at 4:30 am earlier in the week and they had already laid. (Insomnia....watching ducks is more entertaining than tv at that time)!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:you need to get some sleepy time tea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by