Laying while molting

Yard Hen Lady

Chirping
Oct 26, 2021
Wine Country CA
My golden sex link, Betty, is about 2.5 yrs. She started molting in late Oct last year and seems to be molting in sections rather than a full malt. She’s been molting her neck and head (around comb) for about two months. The other areas only took a few weeks each. I‘ve noticed she recently started molting her wings again. She is eating and drinking fine and getting along with the flock. She’s still laying, occasionally, about 1 egg a week. The shells are lighter in color than usual, but the egg shape is fine and nothing is wrong with the actual egg. I live in the Bay Area of CA and we’ve been experiencing extreme changes in weather patterns. I have one other hen and a pullet. The pullet is laying everyday, with an occasional miss day. The other hen, Wilma, a golden sex link, is about 2.5 yrs and is laying about 2 eggs a week. She was giving me more, but since the time change, her egg production decreased by about half. I got Betty and Wilma about a year ago and they were about 1.5 years old, so I was told. Betty was producing daily eggs until she started molting in October. Wilma did a complete partial molt in October last year. Since October, Betty’s egg production varies. Sometimes I’ll get 2-3 eggs a week, then she’ll go a week or two without producing any eggs. Is Betty’s molting behavior anything to be concerned about?

I had a very similar case with one of my chickens, too. She was also moulting heavily around her head and neck and mainly nothing else. She stopped moulting around 2 months after that, and she was fine. I think she will be okay, but i'd keep an eye on her just in case. I'm not really experienced in that area, maybe someone else has some better feedback?

Back
Top Bottom