laying

When they stop laying eggs.

now that was funny:lol:

Chickens will stop laying eggs for many reasons. Going broody, or stress. They say a hen can live 10 years if you so desire, but egg production drops off after 1 year and again after 2. So the older the bird the less eggs. But she should still lay some eggs for her entire life, though it may be only 1 per week or less if she is really old.

Most people replace the chickens when they get that old as it costs more to feed than you receive in eggs.​

I have 6 year old hens still laying almost everyday ... They will stop when their molting season starts, when they are going Broody or stress over a move .....Each breed is different...and as they do get older will lay less and less...

Most that want egg production either add new pullets every year to their flock or replace the hens every two years........

I go by production drop, also; unless, as has already been mentioned, there's another factor.

I've got experience with my breeds, so I know already which ones don't lay well in the cold weather etc.

My 5 year olds are currently giving me 2-3 eggs per day, per 3 hens. But I know that they will eventually begin to drop off, so I'm bringing in chicks this year, so that by spring they will take over and the older girls can lay for as long as they like, or not. When mine stop laying as well, they are just retired, and live out the last of their lives in the same way they lived the first part.

Do you have older hens?

If so: Have they always been with you, and in the same coop? Have you brought in any new birds, or other animals? Have there been any break-in's of their area by predators? Are they slowing down? How old are they, and what are their breeds?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom