1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Layout of coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ben M, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Ben M

Ben M New Egg

Oct 27, 2016
    I'm just getting started with chickens, but want to raise dual-purpose birds I have bovans on order right now, but I don't know how good they will be for meat. If they don't work out, I'd change for RIR as soon as I can find a supplier...

Basically I have a 9x12 coop, and 2 brooders that are 2'x6', and I would like your ideas on a good (at least initial) setup for the coop to seperate ages. Any walls seperating pens would be movable so that I can easily restructure as necessary. How would you divide this area up?

I know it's not overly large, and eventually, I'll probably move birds to another barn when I need the space, but for now I want to try to contain my poultry farm to my shed, Thanks for any ideas.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Not sure why you have/need 2 brooders.
    Knowing more about your goals and maybe a drawing or pics of your shed might help us come up with suggestions.

I designed a separate space into my coop, 2 people doors and a temporary wood/wire wall to split off a 4x6 space out of the 6x16 coop for raising chicks or isolation of birds for other reasons. It's worked out really well, tho I wish that space was a bit bigger as it can be hard for me to move around in.

See My Coop page for some details.

And this is how I use that space to integrate chicks each year:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old

3. AcornAcres

AcornAcres Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2017
    North Carolina
    I'm going through this same thing right now. I'm in the initial stages of building a new 8ft x14ft coop, and I want to be sure I've decided on an interior layout before I place the windows and doors. The entire structure will actually be 16 feet long, but I'm building a wall to portion off 3 feet of one end to use as a garden shed. The garden shed would be completely walled off from the coop, and accessed via it's own door. I would like to be able to house roughly Here's what else I'd like to incorporate:
    -Two stacked brooders (they would do double duty as chicken isolators in case one is sick, injured, etc. and it would be nice for those occasions when I have a difference in age in the chicks.)
    -Roosts with removable poop boards
    -Nesting boxes
    -Two breeding boxes
    -Water station. Food station is in the run.

The current plan is to have an attached 200sqft run, but normally we have ten acres they can have access to. I want to free range summer, fall, and winter , but spring seems to be the time of year when the fox does her hunting, so they can't leave the run. Once I figure out how to upload the pics of my (very poorly) drawn preliminary sketches, I will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by