Lazy barred rock hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wfpendragon, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Wfpendragon

Wfpendragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Hey all I've got another concern, this time with my 8 month barred rock hen. For a few weeks she's been kinda lazy acting and isn't laying anymore. Her comb also seems a little a shrunken, though she's always had a kind of small comb. She still roosts and will even free range but she isn't very thrifty. She'll Peck here and there but she mostly just stands around looking tired. She doesn't really show any signs of being egg bound or anything. Here are some pics of her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wfpendragon

Mar 13, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I think I'm going to worm her.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does she have any signs of a respiratory disease (sneeze, cough, labored breathing, or nasal or eye drainage?) Have you checked her skin for signs of lice or mites? Does she have normal droppings or any diarrhea? Does her crop empty overnight? Is she low in the pecking order? Worming twice a year certainly won't hurt, but a vet could check her droppings for certains types of worms. So many things can affect chickens, so doing a major exam might help. You can also confine her to a crate on paper towels to notice any change in droppings, and keep track of how much she eats or drinks.

4. Wfpendragon

Mar 13, 2016
    Wisconsin
    She doesn't have any respiratory symptoms and I didn't see any mites or lice. Her crop seems to be on the empty side as she isn't over enthusiastic about foraging and eating, though she does eat some. She does seem to be getting bullied a little more than usual because she's feeling down. Her droppings are on the liquid side and her vent feathers are a little dirty.

5. Wfpendragon

Mar 13, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Update: she seems to have watery diarheaa and her bum is very dirty. No worms in her poop so far, just very runny. She has been drinking a lot, probably to compensate for water loss. I have her inside a crate in the house with moistened feed and gave her some aspirin water to combat any inflammation. Will also give electrolytes. I wish i knew what was making her sick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by