Lazy Black Australorps!!!

Are the Australorps in a coop by themselves? If not, how do you know they are not laying? I had some from Meyer a few years ago & they started from 20-24 weeks & were good layers except the one who was constantly broody.
Thank you for this… I have a good amount of chickens that come and go in my flock for whatever reasons but when people are specific as to what bird lays what egg I feel bad I don’t have name tags on mine and know what egg is what lol. I collect a pile of eggs I know my white leg horns and Californias because they are the lone white egg layers but I have like 20 ish brown egg layers that are all light/medium brown in tint.

Are the Australorps in a coop by themselves? If not, how do you know they are not laying? I had some from Meyer a few years ago & they started from 20-24 weeks & were good layers except the one who was constantly broody.
I know because I haven't gotten get any small new layer eggs, soft eggs, or light creamier colored eggs. My girls lay dark eggs and the hatchery said their Australorps lay light eggs. And no worries about the broody hens. I got extra so I can cull the broody ladies before next my next hatch in October. Thanks for the warning!

I got my two black Australorps back in April of Last year and they didn't start laying until November. They were the last of my original flock to start laying. They also only lay 4 days a week. I know Australorps hold a record for most eggs laid, but mine definitely didn't get that memo lol. I love them though. They are such sweet docile girls.

My black australorp (from Cackle Hatchery) hatched on April 6th, 2022, and she did not start laying until 26 weeks on the dot, very early September. She looked ready to go for a month+ before finally laying, too.

Once she started, though, she hasn't stopped at all and laid right on through the winter. She lays 5 to 6 eggs a week consistently and they are either large or extra large eggs. Beautiful, consistent layer, super sweet, loves to run right up to me for scritches and treats. The eggs will come. Give them another few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom