1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lazy Chickens love the nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bdickey, Feb 3, 2012.

  1. bdickey

    bdickey Out Of The Brooder

    13
    0
    22
    May 13, 2011
    I have 2 Buckeye pullets that were hatched in early summer. They have a small coop about 2.5' X 3.5' ( I am working on a bigger one) and a 6' X 6' run. They spend about 15% of their time eating, drinking and walking around the run/coop/yard. The other 85% is spent laying down cuddling together. Thier favorite place to cuddle when not free ranging is in the nest box. The nest box is about 16" below the roost. I tried to break them of this early on by blocking off the nest box and putting coffee cans and balls in the nest box. They would either kick the balls/cans out, squeeze in between the cans and balls or they would cuddle right next to the nest box door. They also sleep in the nest box at night. I have tried to break them of this by putting them on the roost but they still won't go by themselves.

    They just started laying eggs and they spend most of their day pooping on top of their eggs.

    1. ) How should I prepare these eggs so that I can eat them. I read that you shouldn't wash them because it will remove the bloom.
    2. ) What should I do to get clean eggs?
     
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. aoxa

    aoxa Overrun With Chickens

    If there is poop on mine (which there rarely is) I toss them or cook them up and feed them back to the chickens. :/

    You could wash them, but you will need to consume them quicker than you usually do. I think it's best to find a way to keep it from happening in the first place.
     
  3. chicmom

    chicmom Dances with Chickens

    8,559
    131
    316
    Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, dontcha just hate that when you get poopy eggs? I personally just rinse off the eggs with cold water, let them air dry and pop them into the fridge. I do use a fresh paper towel to scrub the poo off with. It usually comes off pretty quickly. I don't use soap because I think it somehow could absorb into the shell and make the eggs taste soapy. (I might be wrong about that.)

    I've never been poisoned by doing this. Works fine for me. There is some egg wash stuff you can buy at the farm store in a bottle, if you think you need it, but I don't use it.

    Sharon
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by