Lazy hens...

OccamsTazer

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL
This is my first year with chickens, so I'm not sure what's going on. I have about a dozen gals, only two of which are old enough to lay. The two layers are Barred Rocks. I bought them (as adults) a couple months ago out of impatient fury, because my raised-from-peeps gals are still too young to lay. The rocks have been laying steadily 3-4 eggs a week each, until about last week when they just stopped entirely. The weather is beginning to change here, so maybe that is it. No one in the flock is sick, no one is wormy, and there is no fighting...so I don't think it's stress. Any ideas?

How old are they? Have you noticed a lot of feathers on the floor of the coop lately?

It could be because there is less daylight this time or year or they could be going into molt. It could probably be something else--there's always something else with chickens--but seasonal slowdown or molt is what comes to mind.

I have indeed noticed a lot of feathers lately, but they're white ones mostly, and only my boys and one of my guineas are white. They are all looking a bit molty though.
I don't know exactly how old the rocks are. I bought them from my boss's friend, who is a very nice guy and not likely to sell me a soup chicken
tongue.png

Also, when I went to get them he just nabbed the two nearest rocks, so I don't think he was handing me ancient birds specifically, although it is possible.
I've been giving everyone yogurt just for a boost, along with all the usual kitcken scraps. Any other supplement suggestions?

Quote:
I wasn't so much thinking that they were really old birds as much as wondering if they were getting ready to go into a major molt. They do mini molts regularly, but usually have a big one around 18 months old.

I haven't used any supplements on my birds and can't remember the names of the most popular ones. If you do a thread search on molting hens I'm sure that information will come up. Hope you get them back in the swing of things soon.

You can feed back excess eggs scrambled boiled etc. If no eggs like now. You can give them the childrens vitamins Polyvisol WITHOUT Iron. Also some give cat food that is high in protein to help with the molt. I think you may be able to buy a protein supplement as well that might help. Have you changed bags of feed or are you feeding more treats than usual? One time mine slowed down but it was my fault. I was giving to many treats. Also they hated the pelletted feed I had started them on. Hope all this helps. Gloria Jean

I think mine are starting to molt for the first time. We take the feathers out of the coop, leave them in the yard for the birds to feather their nests.

Back
Top Bottom