Lazy meat birds

Amoore117

Chirping
May 21, 2020
Liberty New York
So I ended up with 6 Cornish C birds from TSC accidentally. Needless to say they are lazy as lazy can be. I had to throw them out into the run today to get them to go outside. Yesterday my Roo ventured out but then refused to use the door to go back in. Any ideas on how to get them to go in and out on their own power? My door is 13x13 and the rest of the flock (20 birds all this years hatch) has no issue using the door to go in and out.

So I ended up with 6 Cornish C birds from TSC accidentally. Needless to say they are lazy as lazy can be. I had to throw them out into the run today to get them to go outside. Yesterday my Roo ventured out but then refused to use the door to go back in. Any ideas on how to get them to go in and out on their own power? My door is 13x13 and the rest of the flock (20 birds all this years hatch) has no issue using the door to go in and out.
As meat birds they are genetically disposed to be lazy. In a commercial setting they basically sit by the feeder and eat until they are killed.
Are you going to cull them and use as meat birds? If so, they should be ready at 8-10 weeks so you won't have to worry about it.
If on the other hand you intend to raise them on pasture, try taking away their feed after breakfast, and put them out on the range - nothing motivates like hunger...

Sounds like they are as good as they can be! Lots of water, and the food at the other side of the run from the water so that they HAVE to move. They are not the smartest tool in the shed, either. Even walking up a ramp that other birds have no problem with can be too much for them!
i have noticed. They do not want anything to do with going in and out. Then sky opened up today and they just sat there without a care in the world. I had to grab all 6 and throw them inside 😒

maybe they will get there before their final day

Stocky. They waddle but move around fine when they want. Brought them home April 29.
Is it very hot? They do not like the heat, and might not want to go in the house if it is hot in there. I know we have been having unseasonably hot weather here, even for AZ.

Sounds like they are as good as they can be! Lots of water, and the food at the other side of the run from the water so that they HAVE to move. They are not the smartest tool in the shed, either. Even walking up a ramp that other birds have no problem with can be too much for them!

Back
Top Bottom