Lazy Peachick

I meant worms in their coop, we have big black beetles in our backyard where my birds are, they are many, when i remove a plate from the ground i can see worms under it, i know these worms are beetles didn't develop yet, i don't have any other birds than peafowls, i will ask him on Friday which wormer he use.

Thank you so much again for your help, i appreciate every single word you wrote for me
smile.png
They can get blackhead from those meal worms if it is in your area, not sayen you birds have that but that is one way they get blackhead
wink.png

A preliminary study of natural and experimental infection of the lesser mealworm Alphitobius diaperinus (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae) with Histomonas meleagridis (Protozoa: Sarcomastigophora).

Huber K1, Gouilloud L, Zenner L.
Author information

• 1UMR 958 Protozoaires Entéricoles des Volailles, INRA-ENVL, Marcy L'Etoile, France. [email protected]
Abstract

Histomonas meleagridis is a protozoan parasite causing histomoniasis (histomonosis), a disease of gallinaceous fowl. In order to determine whether the lesser mealworm, Alphitobius diaperinus, is capable of harbouring H. meleagridis, the presence of the parasite was tested by polymerase chain reaction in lesser mealworms collected in the field. Parasite DNA was detected in two larvae from two farms undergoing an outbreak of histomoniasis. Insects were also artificially infected, killed after incubation and analysed by polymerase chain reaction for the presence of parasite DNA. After 4 days, two larvae (out of 20) remained positive. In another experimental infection to investigate the viability of histomonads in the larvae, living parasites were detected in five of 20 larvae 4 days after infection. These results indicate that although A. diaperinus can become infected with H. meleagridis it appears to have a low susceptibility to infection and would probably not be a major route of contamination between flocks.

-Kathy

A preliminary study of natural and experimental infection of the lesser mealworm Alphitobius diaperinus (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae) with Histomonas meleagridis (Protozoa: Sarcomastigophora).

Huber K1, Gouilloud L, Zenner L.
Author information

• 1UMR 958 Protozoaires Entéricoles des Volailles, INRA-ENVL, Marcy L'Etoile, France. [email protected]
Abstract

Histomonas meleagridis is a protozoan parasite causing histomoniasis (histomonosis), a disease of gallinaceous fowl. In order to determine whether the lesser mealworm, Alphitobius diaperinus, is capable of harbouring H. meleagridis, the presence of the parasite was tested by polymerase chain reaction in lesser mealworms collected in the field. Parasite DNA was detected in two larvae from two farms undergoing an outbreak of histomoniasis. Insects were also artificially infected, killed after incubation and analysed by polymerase chain reaction for the presence of parasite DNA. After 4 days, two larvae (out of 20) remained positive. In another experimental infection to investigate the viability of histomonads in the larvae, living parasites were detected in five of 20 larvae 4 days after infection. These results indicate that although A. diaperinus can become infected with H. meleagridis it appears to have a low susceptibility to infection and would probably not be a major route of contamination between flocks.

-Kathy

About time you showed up.
gig.gif

Regardless of where it came from, right? @casportpony , did you see the yellow poo pics?

Othman, can you get metranidazole? It's another kind of wormer...

Haven't had time to go through the whole tread yet, but if I founf a poop like this I would start metronidazole, fenbendazole, Baytril and *maybe* amprolium, ASAP! Have to go feed the horses, but will be back to say more.

Good Morning, Thank you so much for your help, the birds look better today(if i'm not mistaken), i will upload recent video for them, i think i could find amrolium here, can i give them amrolium monthly or what? I have talked with my vet who usually worm my adult birds(with injections), he will come on Friday so i have to wait.

Of course Kathy can use these pictures, and here are some new poop pictures, from the two sick birds:

The first one almost look normal isn't?

k

These pictures Kathy. In the top picture the top poo looks yellow and the one below it is too brown to me, not the normal green. The bottom picture looks like yellow blackhead poo.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom