Lazy turkeys?

RealHarvestMoon

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
I recieved 2 beltsville white poults,2 weeks old, about 3 days ago. When I got them home, they appeared to be very lethargic. They would lay down whenever given a chance and I could not get much of a reponse, even when trying to pick them up. The first night I was very worried that they were over stressed or too cold, but they seemed to make it through the night. Now they will jump up and run around the brooder in the presence of people, and will perch up on anything they can manage to roost on (including the edge of the brooder! yikes!). However, they still seem to lay down for most of the day and are "lazy", especially compared to my experience with chicks and black spanish poults in the past.

Both have clear vents, no nasal discharge, no curled toes, no visible signs of anything wrong. I'm really hoping that I just have some lazy turkeys, but does anyone have any other ideas?

I have only had turkeys a few weeks, but mine are pretty active, They run, jump, play, follow me everywhere. And they are BBW, I expected them to be lazy. Maybe yours are just taking a few days to adjust? Are they eating turkey/game bird starter?

yes, I have them on game starter and gave them a chopped hardboiled egg on day 2, just in case they needed a protein pick-me-up. They seem to be eating and drinking fine, and seem otherwise healthy. If I peak in, I'll find them perched on things or running around on occasion. They just seem to spend a LOT of their day laying in one place and really don't seem to like getting up and walking around while I'm in the garage with them. I'm hoping it's just stress.

Back
Top Bottom