Lead paint chips?

NathanielJS

Chirping
7 Years
May 4, 2014
Hello. An area of my yard has been covered in lead paint chips from an old door that was left out. I've tried to pick out as many as I can, but many have already broken down and mixed with the soil. Is this level of lead dangerous to my birds? How does one go about removing contaminated soil?

Lead ingested by your birds will appear in their eggs and meat, so get that soil tested! And you may need to get your birds tested, and the soil can be shoveled out and replaced, or covered over with something safer.
Actual toxic levels of lead are possible, but hopefully not.
So sorry! So many properties actually do have this problem, because of all that lead paint, formerly on everything.
Mary

Last edited:
I know I'm a little late to the party on this one, but keep your birds away from that area of soil that might contain lead paint chips until the contamination has been abated.
Soil testing is recommended and follow-up remediation (clearing the hazard from the soil) if necessary.
Lead, though not as toxic to chickens as other birds, is a danger nonetheless. Worse, as @Folly's place mentioned, it can be passed to humans in the meat and eggs of our birds.

Back
Top Bottom