Leader of the flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hilltop, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Hilltop

Hilltop New Egg

Mar 10, 2010
    Signal Mountain
    I've raised and been around chickens all my life but I recently had something happen that I've never seen before. Three of my Buckeye pullets decided to go broody in the same nest shortly after starting to lay so I left them alone to see what happened. They managed to hatch two chicks and one died so I took the other and put it in my brooder by its self. About a week later I hatched 18 Dominiques and Delawares out in an incubator. I had put the Buckeye chick in the brooder intended for them so I was forced to put them in with it. I thought that being older it might try to dominate the younger ones but no just the opposite happened. It took the younger one and started calling them to the food and water just like a hen or rooster would do and after two weeks now its still acting the same way. When I change out the food and water the younger ones run to the back of the brooder but the Buckeye runs forward with its hackles up and wings out to defend them and will actually peck my hand. Darndest thing I've ever seen, needless to say I,m going to keep this one to see what developes.

2. Kitt

Kitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    It's great that they get along so well. I have had to put younger ones in with ones about a week older and they done great together. I'm glad it is working for you. Keep us posted and pics. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by