Leaf bath

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crzychickenlady, Nov 23, 2008.

1. crzychickenlady

crzychickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    I have been watching my poor birds stuck in the coop and run with all the close encounters with stupid preds.

I got a bright idea this morning when I went out to let them out of the coop into the run. I raked up a bunch of leaves and dumped them in the run.

OMG they went nuts in it, like kids jumping into piles of leaves. They just loved it!!

I figured if I can't let them out to range, I would bring the fun stuff to them, LOL!

2. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I know !they love it! i felt the same way as you.....plus I thought it would be excellent compost to put on the garden come spring...

3. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    Quote:I throw 1/4 bale of straw in the run once in a while and they go NUTS for that too. Don't spread it out just lay it in there and let them hop on top and dig at it. It's amazing how quickly they can get it strewn around. [​IMG]
    You're right 2468Chickensrgr8 it would make great compost. Assoon as it dries out a little I will rake them a big bunch of leaves!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by