Leahy Model 40 will not rotate

jake and pippa

Songster
7 Years
Dec 13, 2015
Hudson Valley NY
I have a Leahy Model 40, a large redwood with 8 trays and an external crank to rotate all the eggs at one time. I bought this last year to incubate goose eggs as it allows 180 degree rotation. It is set up for goose eggs, but I cannot get it to rotate freely. There is a small metal ledge towards the bottom, left side and serves as a stop when you want to rotate 90 degrees. That has been removed. I can turn the handle, I used a little WD40 on the metal parts. There is a rope on the left side from the crank to a center axle, and it appears to be in good condition.

I can rotate the crank to move the trays almost upright so that the eggs are all facing away from me. However, when I turn the crank in the other direction, the eggs do not go past the horizontal, they do not tilt towards me. I am thinking that they are rubbing on the side walls? As a result, I have to hand turn the eggs, and that kind of defeats the purpose.

Suggestions? Thank you

Attachments

• Nax1NukSSCC9qonYB6wjgA.jpg
    Nax1NukSSCC9qonYB6wjgA.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 6
  • a4yxDgukSHq4RHKMXuhTxw.jpg
    a4yxDgukSHq4RHKMXuhTxw.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 6
  • d4P8HOHIRTmjWXYeLNi+6A.jpg
    d4P8HOHIRTmjWXYeLNi+6A.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 6
  • CDKU4yi6Sryj1QLSPQTy7A.jpg
    CDKU4yi6Sryj1QLSPQTy7A.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 6
  • xEZVyaUMRBaTOinDsyqdpg.jpg
    xEZVyaUMRBaTOinDsyqdpg.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 5
  • ZXy5lHCvQx2UGisnfFxyQw.jpg
    ZXy5lHCvQx2UGisnfFxyQw.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 5
Sorry, no one was able to respond, did you ever figure it out?
I actually did. I figured it out bay looking more carefully and coming to understand how the turner works. The previous owner seems to have replaced one of the ropes that link the rod turned by the lever to the chassis that hold all the eggs. He used a rope that is too short. That is why it stops, it has run out of rope. I can take the top off the incubator and am hoping I can replavce that rope with a longer one. The chassis is very heavy, and it also needs to be lifted a little and repositioned in the incubator. This can all be done, but a hoist would be very useful.

Back
Top Bottom