Leaky Columbia or Mix of Patterns?

OldCrookedToe

Chirping
Nov 10, 2015
Florence/Effingham, SC

4 month old light brahma cockerel - he's from a local breeder who specializes in a bunch of harder to find colors in several breeds (not just accepted colors) My question is whether or not he's just a really messy columbia paterned cockerel or if he's the result of different patterned brahmas being bred together. He has black spots all over him and his upper back looks very reminiscent of lacing.

The upper back part looks like all of my light brahma cockerels. His pattern will likely still improve as he grows and molts as he still has a lot of changes coming when he gets his stringy saddle and hackle feathers (that should be starting soon)

Thanks! I'm not new to chickens but this is my first ever brahma and I wasn't sure what to make of it. The little saddle feathers are coming in now. Sorry if it was a noob question but I was really curious about it and if it would get better.

Leaky Columbian. the Light Brahma is based on the eb (brown ) allele.
because of this the underfluff Hues need to be correctly balanced or you will see the black breaking out in the white areas, as in this bird.

On the other hand ,the light Sussex is based on the eWh (Wheaten) allele .
Its' underfluff is pure white to the skin and requires no color balancing in order to keep the white parts pure White.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Thanks Karen, every bit helps as I have next to 0 knowledge of chicken genetics. Forgive me if it's a stupid question, but how do you balance the brown allele? What could I expect, in theory, if he were eventually put in with a light brahma hen with no or extremely limited leakage?

If you read the history of the light Brahma the books written by breeders of the light Brahma will explain what the proper Hues in the under fluff should be . how they need to be balanced to get correct top color ,
what colors they will be if they're Incorrect and the black shows up in the white.
I would look it up and send you the cites, accept my laptop is down and I'm doing all this on my cell phone . so things are usually not as easy as usual.
Do choose modern lit though ,because some of the Colombian breeds morphed in the early days and what you want is current literature . To teach how to properly balance the color hues in the underfluff .
have a good day,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom