Lean days and plentiful days

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by max13077, Jan 14, 2009.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm interested to learn if people have the same experiences I do with my hens laying eggs. Yesterday my 13 hens laid 2 eggs. Today, they laid 11. Is this normal? I'm just inquisitive.

2. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    I'm not sure, but I think sometimes, their egg cycle gets off by a day. Ever notice how they lay at slightly different times...later each day (mine do) and they take a day off every now and then. I think they instinctively know what to do. My bantam isn't laying right now and I'm thinking for her that is probably a good thing. She needs all her energy to go into keeping herself warm...not laying eggs right now.

3. Poorfarmer

Poorfarmer Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2008
    Sherburne NY
    I write down the number of eggs I get a day on the calander and yes there seems to be times when you wonder where all the eggs went.

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I've read it takes 26 hours for an egg to make it's way out the chute. [​IMG] That's why the time moves up gradually.

5. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I think it's normal, especially in the winter. My hens are all over the board. One thing I noticed is that a couple of days after single digit temps, they stop laying. It's like the really cold weather hits and their bodies shut down the process but they still have to get rid of what's in there already so they lay for another day or two then stop. Then, when it warms up again, they start to lay.

I just don't count on consistency until mid-spring or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by