Learn from my mistake, broody issues!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Earlier today I was attempting to clean up a bit in one of the coops, working quietly and slowly as to not upset my three broodies - one with chicks, two on eggs. The entire back wall of the coop is taken up with dog crates of various shapes and sizes for the broodies plus one for the meatie pullets to use as a nestbox and the rest of the nestboxes besides, making it kinda tight for this human to get in there to tend to them. While I worked, I opened all the broody's crate doors in case they wanted to go outside for a bit.
My broody Doe had her chicks out for a stroll around the coop, so I decided to remove the hay in her crate and replace it with fresh shavings. I thought I did a pretty good job; Doe thought otherwise. When she found the hay missing, she went looking for some, in Jethro's crate.
Doe attempted to join Jethro on her nest. Jethro, being a silkie, is a mean little broody. Jethro wasn't inclined to share. While they were sorting that out Pearl, one of Doe's chicks, decided to join his/her mama. Jethro was like, "okay, you steal my nest, I'll steal your chick!". In the meantime Ellie Mae, my other silkie broody, decided that taking over Doe's nest, with the ready-made chicks, was better than sitting on eggs for another 12 days or so.
Here I was on my hands and knees trying to rustle up Doe and her chick, settle Jethro and Ellie Mae back down in a very tight space wedged between three large dog crates. Finally got Doe back in her crate, Ellie in hers and closed all the doors.
When I explained to DH why I was sweating and covered in hay, pine shavings and chicken poo he said maybe next time I should deal with the broodies one at a time, instead of having all their crates open at once.
Well, duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he.gif

Oh, No! I'm glad it all got sorted out! Sounds like some of the situations I get myself into!
lol.png
I rarely think something all the way through... if I did, I probably wouldn't get anything done!
wink.png
Good luck with all the chicks!

Well, DUH!!!
old.gif
You need a taser!!
gig.gif

(not just for the chickens. Sometimes a little electric shock treatment can be beneficial to the human male brain too!)

...i know. From experience.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom