learning curve (bend) lol

nappybutbald

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 23, 2014
Stone Mountain
I have learned so much in this adventure of my mine keeping backyard chickens. Sure a lot of time spent here reading but there is nothing like experiencing it in real life, wow what an adventure. So March 10th 2015 I started out with 10 chicks 2 White Leghorns, 2 White Plymouth Rocks, 2 Partridge Plymouth Rocks, 2 Golden Laced Wyandotte's, 2 Exchequer Leghorns. Lost 1 White Leghorn some how just disappeared one day (hawk?). here recently (last three weeks) one of the Exchequers was very sick to the point it could not walk or stand. The two queens of the flock the Golden Laced Wyandotte's I nursed her back to health and returned her back to the flock today. Now my children says i think I'm a veterinarian LOL (The Doctor) get it Dr Who hahaha. On June 21 I received 2 Australorps, 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte's, 2 Speckled Sussex, 2 Columbian Wyandotte's, so one Speckled Sussex died in transit one Australorp had a mishap with the older hens and died and one Columbian disappeared (hawk?). Now the weird thing about these birds they will not go in the coop and been in the yard with the older hens since August but separated till September. Every night they would sleep in the open on the top step of my deck and every night just dark enough where the young hens could not see properly my son and I would gather the hens and place them in the coop with the older hens. I took a old sauna turned it on its side attached a store brought nest inside secured it to the original coop. I separated two feet of the old coop so the young hens had use of the roost to sleep on. the plan is to keep them locked in for up to three weeks before allowed to free range again hoping this will cause them to feel safe and return home at dusk.

little blue and white paint and there we have it instant coop addition. Just in time for my spring babies which will include 1 Australorp, 1 Columbian Wyandotte, 1 Ayam Cemani (all black inside and out) rooster with a No Crow collar, 1 Speckled Sussex, 2 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, 1 Ancona, 2 Svart Hona aka Swedish Black Hens. All the leghorns and and Partridge rocks will be culled and giving to less fortunate families this winter. oh oh also this spring i will be adding two female Nigerian Drawf Goats for their milk yum yum can't wait. I love this Urban Farm life! ;^

very cool looking set up there!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom