Learning new things in the New Year

cajunater

Hatching
Dec 26, 2015
Happy New Year, everybody! Still trying to wrap my head around trying to take care of five hens that are 11 months old. I know that's not much of a hill for most of you guys. Just trying to do things right. Here's a simple question, and I know the obvious answer, but... How often do I clean out the chicken coop? And do I clean it out down to the wood, shavings and all? Hosing it out afterward? I'll stop here and wait for your answers/suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Happy New Year!

Depends on what kind of coop you have. Box coops (you know, the kind that come in a box) and anything with a slide out tray should be done every 1-2 days. Shed-style or barn-style coops should be fine every 1-2 weeks. Straw will need to be changed more often than pine shavings. Deep litter can be done in shed-style coops and only needs to be cleaned a couple times a year. In all cases except deep litter you should remove all the bedding - it doesn't need to be every fiber but the majority of it. You only really need to hose it down and/or disinfect a couple times a year.

Edited for me not looking when I'm typing

Last edited:
Happy New Year to you as well. X2 on QueenMisha's post. Coarse sand on the floor of the coop probably requires the least frequent cleaning and it can be hosed out pretty easily.

I have a large shed-style coop and use straw for bedding. Every morning after the chickens are up, I go in with a plastic wash tub and a child-size rake and pick up as much of the nightly droppings as possible. I stir up the straw and add a bit more if needed (some straw gets picked up raking). I also scrape off their roosts and ramps every day and make sure the nesting boxes are clean just in case that straw got dirty. I do a complete clean up removing all bedding and scrub things down 3-4 times a year.

Back
Top Bottom