Learning to "Cock-a-doodle-doo!"

AppleMomma65

Songster
Mar 16, 2020
Spooner, WI
My Coop
My Coop
12 week old BJG - found out two days ago she is a he. He tries but (thankfully) it's not a fully developed "Cock-a-doodle-doo!" So wondering if anyone knows how long before he gets enough practice in and the crow will be full pitched? I'm not supposed to have a rooster and am getting a collar to see if that helps. Worried I'll get turned in ..
😟

It's really hard to say. Some cockerels pick it up really quickly and start to belt out big loud crowing within weeks of their first sad little attempts. But then I have a Dominique rooster who still has a wimpy little croak, and he's over a year old. :idunno

I'm not supposed to have a rooster and am getting a collar to see if that helps.
Collars can be fatally dangerous, and even if they work they may not be enough to keep your flock(and others in the area) safe from detection by the authorities.
Why risk your ability(and others in the area) to have chickens?

One of the hardest, but most necessary, tasks of a chickeneer is to remove birds that don't fit in to the flock.

Collars can be fatally dangerous, and even if they work they may not be enough to keep your flock(and others in the area) safe from detection by the authorities.
Why risk your ability(and others in the area) to have chickens?

One of the hardest, but most necessary, tasks of a chickeneer is to remove birds that don't fit in to the flock.
Thanks @aart get what you are saying - I've read a lot about the pros and cons of collars, and if they work or not. It was not my plan to have a roo but I feel like I should try it out to see and feel is my duty as a chicken owner, too. My neighbor who will take him has two roosters so not sure what his chances are there either as he would be a young boy in an established flock. I'm afraid I may have another rooster in my bunch ... my 12 week old brahma is hard to pinpoint on male/female.

Back
Top Bottom