learning to say NO

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
sorry guys just having a bit of a rant here....
it seems ive become somewhat a dropoff center for unwanted animals.....a few years back it started off by me taking in someones turtles as they thought i could give them a better life..then someone brought round there chickens, then someone else brought round there geese...then someone brought round there donkey...
problem is ive never had the heart to say NO, stop, enough is enough.

well today seems to have been the final straw i believe. a guy turns up in his jeep, loaded full with his animals. minipigs, geese, ducks, turkeys.

and stupid me agreed to take them in. i mean what was i supposed to do, they were all caged up with no where to go.

so ive just spent the whole evening listing them up as free to a good home because i just cant keep them. i have my own animals to feed and care for....i should never have let him off load them here but i have such a hard time saying no, sorry theres no room at the inn.....

any tips on how i can tackle future problems of people turning up with animals?? dont get me wrong the odd chicken here and there is not so bad..but when they start turning up by the jeep full, then i have problems
sad.png

Do you have any good rescue groups that you can try contacting and working with?
Or perhaps some other farmers or vets who might have connections who can help?
Unless you put up signs that say "Keep away! I dont want your animals" I think, from my own experience, they will keep showing up, and even start dumping them in extreme cases even with signs and warnings and such...
Or maybe you can start charging drop off fee's? That might make them stop showing up?
idunno.gif

This has helped @my place.

Sign posting fees for drop offs.

Sign: ALL ANIMALS DROPPED OFF WILL BE BUTCHERED FOR FOOD!!!

Sign: Pets dropped off Will Be Shot or sold for research... (I would never do this, but the sign works.)

Had to do something to stop the dropoffs.

Hope this helps, where are you located?

Maye

Last edited:
At one point I couldn't take anymore animals or birds and I just had to start saying no. When people asked me if I either wanted or could take whatever it was, I told them I was sorry, but I had all I could handle and I couldn't take anymore. That was all it took, for my situation. After a little while, people didn't ask anymore.

I think the hardest part is your own feelings about all of it. Sometimes people feel guilty if they don't help or have a hard time saying no to a pushier person. Once you're really okay with saying no, I think most people are okay with it, too. If you have other suggestions for them, that's helpful.

Just remind yourself that every animal that enters your property could potentially be carrying disease that could infect your pets. That should be enough to keep strangers and their animals off the place.

Golly I know how you feel. We just cant take the drop offs anymore. We have taken in so many. The worse part is that where we are there is a convient pull over place across the road. Yeah, and we have a barn, so we want more animals for sure. At least the guy came to you personally instead of the dump, and drive away method. That being said I feel your pain. And Sourland is right, They could bring something in. And people just dont get the whole quarantine thing. Anyways good luck to you. And just say no.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom