1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

LEAST broody breeds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by macmama, May 20, 2010.

1. macmama

macmama Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    I have 3 Buff Orps, and I didn't realize how broody they were! The one is being a great mama and sitting on eggs, but my backyard flock of 5 can only grow by a few before we're out of room. Can I get your opinions on LEAST broody breeds?

Right now I have the 3 BOs (but one is going to be sold because she is SO LOUD!-- and she's not even the dominant one!)and 2 BRs (please tell me they aren't as broody as the BOs! They'll start laying this month so we'll see...)

My BO is sitting on 5 SLW eggs, and if they don't hatch (or if we get a poor hatch) I'm going to give her some day-old chicks. Here are my choices...

SLW or GLWs
    Ameraucanas
    Delewares
    RIRs
    Brahmas
    Black Stars
    Golden Giants

In addition to low-broodiness, I also need calm, quiet, non-flighty, good producers.

I can have about 8 total chickens, so I have room for 4 more (after I sell our loud-mouthed BO), and I'd prefer 2 of each breed... thanks in advance!

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Barred Rock are broodies too ... [​IMG]
    Wyandottes are broody
    Ameraucanas are broody
    Brahmas are REALLY BROODY!
    Delawars?
    RIR are not broody
    Black Starts aren't either.
    What are Golden Giants? Never heard of them before!? [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You probably need RIR, they are very good layers are very calm aren't suppost to go broody but rarely you will have one that does.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  3. macmama

macmama Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Golden Giants are sex-links... I'm assuming between Jersey Giants and something else? I can ask the breeder who has all of these.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Okay, that's a new one to me!!!

5. NewEnglandChick

NewEnglandChick Songster

Aug 13, 2009
    Midcoast Maine
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Barred Rock are broodies too ... [​IMG]

RIR are not broody

You probably need RIR, they are very good layers are very calm aren't suppost to go broody but rarely you will have one that does.

This makes me laugh!! I currently have Barred Rocks & Rhode Island Reds with new BR chicks in the chick box and a few Buff Orpington chicks on the way.
    Guess who's broody in my coop?!?! It's a RIR!!

I'd review the breed page to see what fits what you're looking for - but keep in mind...there's always gonna be that one!! [​IMG]

6. beachchickie

beachchickie Songster

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I have read on this website that there are certain breeds that are more likely to be broody. But it is also personality. Great. The last thing I need is a broody hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by