Least dominant cockerel; introducing to new flock?

Wynette

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Sep 25, 2007
Michigan
I've got three cockerels that I'd like to keep, but only two pens.

All three are in one pen now (my "juvie" pen). My other pen has 7 adult layers (no roos).

The first cockerel is an EE (Rocky). He's 22 weeks old, and has been relentless on the pullets in that pen. But, he's very mild-mannered and easy to work with. He WAS bottom of the pecking order when younger, because he was sick for a good while. Once he got to feeling better, he immediately took over the flock.

The other two cockerels are 18 week old Copper Black Marans. Both are from Bev Davis stock, both are nice, but Francoise is much nicer than Pierre. Pierre is after Rocky and Francoise on the pecking order.

My goal is to have both Rocky and Pierre in with the adult layers eventually (all 3 are getting along fine now) and Francoise only in the juvenile pen.

However, it would be fantastic if I could help Pierre to establish himself and become dominant before putting Rocky in. My hope is that if I put Pierre in with the adult layers first, wait a few weeks until he's more sure of himself and breeding the girls, then bring Rocky in, that Rocky will then become the least dominant of the two.

I'd love some feedback/thoughs on whether or not this will work. Thanks so much!

Anyone have any feedback for me??
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom