leave chicks in coop all day?

litlepig11

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 6, 2010
hello, im new here and to raising chicks...our 7 week old chicks spent the first night out in the chicken coop lastnight should i leave them in it all day or let them back out. the problem is they think the house is the coop they are bit spoiled i guess
wink.png
at night they keep coming up the the house back door and we let them in, now that the coop is finished and its warm out we want them to go into the coop at night...any suggestions?

Quote:
I agree. Keep them in the coop for a week and they'll figure it out. It may seem a bit cruel to keep them locked up for a week, but it's nice because once you do it they will (almost) always go in at night on their own after that. You won't have to do any chick wrangling, which means less stress for them and it will be safer for them if they learn to put themselves to bed at night; whether you are there or not.

I just wanted to step back in and mention something. Is your coop well ventilated/shady? What are your outside temps? I just wanted to make sure you didn't cook your little ones.

Last edited:
You could leave them locked in the coop for 24hours. As long as you have good ventilation, and it won't get too hot. Make sure they have food & water,of course. Try penning them in a smaller run near the coop away from your back door.

Back
Top Bottom