How young is too young?

Se7en

Chirping
Jun 29, 2022
Destrehan, La
I have 13 chicks that are 3 weeks old. I have been keeping them in the house in a brooder but have been introducing them to their coop and run, daily for the past week. We live in Louisiana where it gets hot. They are now not wanting to come inside in the evening but I am concerned that since I would need to lock them in the coop at night to keep them safe from predators, would it be too hot to leave them all night without water. In my other coop and run my older hens can come in and out anytime and go all night in the coop without water. My baby chicks are the only chicks in this coop and run, so they do not have anyone to help them. I usually wait six weeks before doing this but I usually have no issues with the chicks coming in with me. These babies want to stay out all night. I am with the understanding that food and water do not go into the coop so do I keep bringing them in for 3 more weeks or give them a try outside all night locked in the coop? Thank you for any advice you have for me.

I'm next door in Texas.
I would have put them out 2 weeks ago if they were mine...with no added heat.
I'd leave food and water with them at all times...until they are full grown.

The most important thing is to make sure your coop and run are predator proof.

would it be too hot to leave them all night without water.
I don't know where you are in Louisiana and I know it has recently been warmer, but my 10-day forecast calls for highs during the day in the low to mid 90's and a nighttime low around 80 F. The dew point is above 70 F so the "feels like" is up there in the day but not as much at night. Chickens do not eat or drink in the dark. When my broody hens are raising chicks they do not have a light at night. They do not eat or drink at night. They do not have to drink at night. I do have water available for them when they wake up.

I am with the understanding that food and water do not go into the coop so do I keep bringing them in for 3 more weeks or give them a try outside all night locked in the coop?
You probably got that understanding from something you read on this forum. I don't know what your coop looks like, I'm reluctant to talk too much about this without knowing if there is something unique about your coop that would cause a problem, but some of us have food and/or water in the coop only, some have food and/or water in the run only, and some (including me) have food and water in both the coop and run. We all have our own reasons for what we do. Just because somebody says to not do it, does not mean you can't in your circumstances. We all have different circumstances. If you are not going to let them out fairly soon after they wake up I'd seriously consider having water in their coop. Or leave the pop door open if you consider their run predator proof. Some of our snakes can eat three week old chicks so I'd be careful about that.

I put three day old chicks out with no added heat last week.
I've done that too.

I'm next door in Texas.
I would have put them out 2 weeks ago if they were mine...with no added heat.
I'd leave food and water with them at all times...until they are full grown.

The most important thing is to make sure your coop and run are predator proof.
Thank you so much. I guess I will start leaving them out tonight. My coop and run are covered completely. They are loving their space and now I feel confident leaving them at night. Thank you.

I don't know where you are in Louisiana and I know it has recently been warmer, but my 10-day forecast calls for highs during the day in the low to mid 90's and a nighttime low around 80 F. The dew point is above 70 F so the "feels like" is up there in the day but not as much at night. Chickens do not eat or drink in the dark. When my broody hens are raising chicks they do not have a light at night. They do not eat or drink at night. They do not have to drink at night. I do have water available for them when they wake up.

You probably got that understanding from something you read on this forum. I don't know what your coop looks like, I'm reluctant to talk too much about this without knowing if there is something unique about your coop that would cause a problem, but some of us have food and/or water in the coop only, some have food and/or water in the run only, and some (including me) have food and water in both the coop and run. We all have our own reasons for what we do. Just because somebody says to not do it, does not mean you can't in your circumstances. We all have different circumstances. If you are not going to let them out fairly soon after they wake up I'd seriously consider having water in their coop. Or leave the pop door open if you consider their run predator proof. Some of our snakes can eat three week old chicks so I'd be careful about that.

I've done that too.
My coop has a door that I can close at night and off the ground. My run is covered on all sides but still nervous about leaving the door to coop open all night. So I will leave them tonight but close the coop door at night for added security since they are still little. We are 25 minutes from New Orleans and we do not heat or cool our coops for fear of a power outage. We do bring ice and put it on trays so that when the ice melts they can stand in it. They love that. Thank you I think I will let them stay out tonight and close the coop door til morning. Thank you so much.

I've done that too.
I too have to keep reminding myself “coops” are different. Mine is about 96sq feet of floor space, plus roosts and whatnot. I keep food and water in the coop, all the time. Some people are dealing with the little chicken tractors, where it may be more difficult to keep food/water in there, even if you want to.

If they have access to water in the run just before bed time and first thing in the morning, and PROPER ventilation in the coop, they should be fine overnight. Birds don’t really come down off the roosts to drink in the middle of the night. Nor will the water be any cooler than ambient temperature after a couple hours.

Due to high temperatures you should have water in the coop with them so they can stay cooled off and hydrated. They may spill or make a mess but just gotta clean it up for the time being.

Food is more optional... if you have a rodent issue then I'd bring them food in the mornings, remove at night.
I guess I can start leaving them in the coop all night and just leave water til morning. Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom